1. I really think those Salem Red Sox players and coaches are going to miss each other over the offseason. The bond they forged while winning Salem’s first Carolina League title since 2001 resembled something you’d see on a high school team, not a bunch of pros thrown together in the dog-eat-dog world of minor league baseball. The smell of champagne is always sweeter when you’re dousing someone you really care about, and I have no doubt that these guys really cared about each other. Congrats to them.
2. Great crowd last night. Awesome.
3. If you’re hoping for me to muster a whole bunch of outrage regarding the Oklahoma State story this morning…well, I apologize. Not gonna happen. I read the first story in SI’s series last night, tried to conjure up some feeling one way or the other, and just couldn’t. It’s not that I think $100 handshakes and phony jobs are acceptable. It’s just that I don’t care. I really, really do not care.
4. OK, I take that back. I do have one opinion on the matter, and it’s one that often gets overlooked: what lost souls these cash-flashing boosters are. Get a real hobby, guys. Join a bowling league. Take up golf. Treat your family to a whitewater rafting adventure. Accomplish something other than making fistfuls of money from your business, investments or inheritance, and maybe you won’t need to derive your self worth from paying an 18-year-old for recording two tackles for a loss.
5. Corey Marshall is back with the Hokies after taking a three-week leave from the team for personal reasons.