1. Having seen both Alabama and Oregon live in the first two weeks, I would vote the Ducks No. 1. For now. The Tide are still ranked No. 1 in the AP poll by a convincing Margin — 57 first place votes vs. the Ducks’ one. Most need to see Oregon’s defense significantly challenged before totally buying in I suppose. I think that Bama offensive line will get better as the season progresses.
2. No matter what the governing body says, NASCAR got exactly what it wanted when Clint Bowyer mysteriously spun out with seven laps to go at Richmond.
3. Wrestling is back in the Olympics in 2020. The fact that it was ever taken out in the first place is the mind-blowing thing.
4. The Salem Red Sox look like they’re going to win the Carolina League crown. The pitching staff has a 0.95 ERA through four postseason games — all wins. The Sox, leading 2-0 in the best-of-five Mills Cup Championship Series, host Game 3 on Tuesday.
5. Two Monday night football games tonight: Eagles-Redskins (6:55 ESPN) and Texans-Chargers (10:15 p.m.). Tell me how they go, gang. I’ll be watching Yankees-Orioles.
Bonus: First championship for the NRV Cardinals in franchise history. Great title game Sunday against the always-impressive War Sox.