The big 5 for Wednesday:
1. Feel that chill in the air this morning? The Salem Red Sox open the postseason at home against Myrtle Beach tonight. Here’s a feature story on Sox catcher/rising star Blake Swihart, and a Q&A with Swihart and others with additional nuggets. The feature also includes information on tickets and a few notes about the best-of-three series against the Pelicans.
2. The Hokies are trying to address their pass-dropping woes from the opener with some extra drills in practice.
3. Speaking of catching passes, UVa’s Darius Jennings entered this year with the most receptions by a UVa wideout (68) after two years in the program, then added some big ones in the win over BYU.
4. Clemson rises four spots to No. 4 to attain its highest AP ranking in 25 years. I’ll stick with FSU as my ACC champ. The Seminoles are up to No. 10. Miami is the first “others receiving votes” team. The Hokies, Georgia Tech and UVa also got some consideration from voters.
5. Don’t forget to make your Fearless Forecasters picks if you’re into that sort of thing. timmyj55 is the early leader of the Blog Crowd subgroup with 19 points. Bunch of people with 18. I’m languishing with 16 (thanks, TCU coach, for punting the ball on fourth-and-2 with less than five minutes left!) but it’s early.
READER COMMENT O’ THE DAY
Stellar stuff on the approaching end of the Virginia Tech sellout streak yesterday, guys. Here’s a comment from HokieFan:
I had season tickets for 17 years and gave them up 2 years ago. During that time I was a Silver Hokie but each year my importance to the Hokie club seemed to dwindle. Re-seating allowed new members to jump into the Hokie club at higher levels and get better seats and parking than people who had been loyal for many, many years. It’s all about the dollars and what can you give me NOW. So I quit with the recent re-seating. I would bet they would like to have a lot of their previously loyal members back.