1. It’s Martinsville week. Jimmie Johnson grabbed the points lead from Matt Kenseth yesterday at Talladega, while Jamie McMurray won the race. Four points separate the top two drivers. Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick are both 26 points behind Johnson.
2. It’s World Series week. Game 1 between the Cardinals and Red Sox is Wednesday night. Boston is a 7-to-5 favorite to win it all.
3. This is the last year you’ll ever hear this sentence: The first BCS rankings are out. Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Ohio State and Missouri are your top five. I’m going to keep linking this sucker, too, as long as it stays relevant.
4. Colts upset Denver in the Sunday nighter. Other NFL upsets yesterday (at least in the eyes of the Vegas line): Redskins over Bears, Jets over Patriots, Cowboys over Eagles, Bills over Dolphins and Bengals over Lions. Tonight’s game is Vikings (1-4) at Giants (0-6).
5. The Hokies, who host Duke this week, are 16th in the AP poll. FSU is third, Miami seventh and Clemson ninth.