1. Andy reports that the Tech-Tennessee football game in Bristol will happen in 2016.
2. I’d encourage folks to read the thoughts from Rick here regarding the facility/schedule/etc. He knows his Bristol Motor Speedway and his Hokies. Plenty of questions about the logistics will be posed at the Monday press conference, I’m sure. I’ve never been to Bristol for a race, but it’s on my list of things to do. I’d prefer the football game wasn’t my first trip.
3. The matchup isn’t as tasty as it might have been a few years ago, but it’s still tasty. I spent a good deal of time in Bristol (on both sides of the state line) before the 2009 Chick-fil-A Bowl between Tech and Tennessee and wrote about the rivalry between fan bases. Plenty of passion on both sides, as we all know.
4. Cardinals advance with a 6-1 victory over the Pirates, who had almost exactly the same experience as the Orioles did last year — make the playoffs for the first time in forever, win the wildcard game, push the ALDS to five games, run into an ace on the road in the deciding contest. I’m guessing Pirates fans feel a lot like O’s fans did this time last year: disappointed, but hardly devastated. Great to see the River City revival this year.
5. Game five of the Detroit-Oakland ALDS is 8 p.m. tonight on TBS. Justin Verlander vs. Sonny Gray.
6. Your ESPN game tonight is Rugers at Louisville (7:30 p.m.). Arizona and USC play on Fox Sports 1 at 10:30.
7. Giants at Bears is your NFL game tonight (8, NFL Network).