1. Pitt week dawns in Blacksburg with two pieces of good news for the Hokies: They’re back in the top 25 and got a commitment from a prized defensive tackle. Tech has opened as a 9.5-point home favorite over the Panthers, who physically manhandled the Hokies 35-17 last year.
2. UVa goes to Maryland this week. Neither team is exactly sizzling at the moment, after the Cavs fell to Ball State on Saturday and the Terps got edged 63-0 in Tallahassee.
3. Anybody starting to think my darkhorse pick of FSU to win the national title isn’t quite as darkhorsey anymore?
4. Another tremendous day to be a baseball fan. All four division series are in action, starting with Game 3 of Oakland-Detroit (1 p.m., MLB Network). The TBS parade begins at 3, as the Pirates try to close out the Cardinals in four. Red Sox go for the sweep of the Rays at 6, while the Braves try to send the series back to Atlanta with a Game 4 win at L.A. at 9:30.
5. Kevin Harvick wins at Kansas. Matt Kenseth holds a three-point edge over Jimmie Johnson in the standings.
6. No sour luck (yep, had to be done) for Tommy Lemons Jr., who wins the big Late Model race at Martinsville.