1. Long but interesting race at Martinsville yesterday, with Jeff Gordon winning and Matt Kenseth putting in a very strong effort to finish second and tie Jimmie Johnson (fifth) for the points lead. Being on the outside was as punitive as ever, which was the basis of my column. We had a lot of writers at the track over the weekend and you can find all our coverage here. How I saw the race as it unfolded can be found here.
2. Not surprisingly, Tech falls out of the rankings after its loss to Duke and is now sixth among others receiving votes.
3. The Hokies have opened as a 4.5-point road favorite over Boston College this coming Saturday.
4. Just when it looked like the Cardinals might grab a commanding lead in the World Series, Jonny Gomes hits a three-run homer to propel Boston to a 4-2 victory and tie the Fall Classic at two games apiece. Game 5 tonight on WFXR, Lester against Wainwright.
5. Oregon leapfrogs Florida State for second place in the BCS standings. The Seminoles have opened as a 22-point favorite over Miami in Saturday’s prime-time battle of ACC unbeatens.