1. Andy has all the details on the 2016 game between Virginia Tech and Tennessee here. I had an interview for a different story that kept me here, but it sounded like the kind of press conference only NASCAR can produce, which means it was fantabulous.
2. So I realize most of us aren’t sure what we’re doing three weeks from now, let alone three years, but on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a mortal lock that you’re there), how likely are you to go to this game in 2016?
3. The Dodgers climb back into the NLCS with a 3-0 victory over St. Louis. Hyun-Jin Ryu had a very nice rookie season for L.A., but outpitching Adam Wainwright? Enormous.
4. We’ve had a lot of great baseball days over the past few weeks — including one that I slept through — but today has a chance to be the best so far. Game 3 of Boston-Detroit (4 p.m., WFXR) and Game 4 of Cardinals-Dodgers (8 p.m. TBS). Verlander-Lackey in the early game, Lynn-Nolasco scheduled in the nightcap.
5. Doug’s UVa notebook today has an interesting anecdote on Brent Urban’s replacement Donte Wilkins, a 6-foot-2, 305-pound redshirt freshman from Woodbridge whose name often has been misspelled “Donta.”
“I went through my whole life spelling it D-o-n-t-a, and then I turned 16 and went to get my driver’s license,” he said. “I looked at my birth certificate and I’m like, ‘My name’s spelled with an ‘e,’ mom,’ and she said, ‘I didn’t want to tell you because you’ve been spelling it with an ‘a’ so well.”
Hey, if it ain’t broka…