1. Great story by Andy on Tech linebacker Jack Tyler, who faced a career crossroads in the summer of 2011.
2. Doughty writes about the QB plan for this week at UVa. He’s not a fan.
3. Arkansas-LSU and Oregon State-Oregon are the “name” games today, but both have spreads of more than 20. The most competitive games might be at noon, when ECU and Marshall square off on CBS Sports Network and Iowa faces Nebraska on ABC. Miami-Pitt highlights the 3:30 slot on ABC.
4. Doughty touched a bit on what my column will be about for tomorrow. Seems to me both fan bases enter this Tech-UVa game with a similar mindset: “Please don’t screw this up.” On Tech’s side, it’s knowing that the Hokies should win, but they’ve dropped the ball several times this year in similar spots. In UVa’s case, it’s not having much faith that Mike London will do all the right things (handling of QBs, clock management, etc.) to give the Cavs their best chance to pull the upset.
5. If the Fearless Forecasters incorporated the spread, I’d be inclined to take UVa and the 13 points in this game. Since it doesn’t, I went with the Hokies. I think Tech wins, but by 10 or fewer. What say you?