1. To nobody’s surprise, Frank Beamer says he’s sticking with Logan Thomas. “He gives us a chance to win. There’s no question in our mind that he’s the guy.”
2. Interesting quotes from Thomas in that story. A sampling: “You can go ahead and ask anybody in this building right now, you can walk across the street to [the] Merryman [Athletic Facility], ask anybody over there, you can ask anybody that’s a part of this program if they think there is any chance of me being taken out for a series and it would be a quick, ‘No.’ “I feel the exact same way. So wherever that [Leal] question stood in front of me, you can just go ahead and throw that out.”
3. Tech hoops coach James Johnson suspends starter C.J. Barksdale for three game for a violation of team rules. “We’re going to miss CJ, the way he played toward the end of the season, and the offseason he had,” Johnson said. “CJ was a junior, a guy that played with the smell of the popcorn.” Innovative way of saying “gamer.” I like it.
4. The Bears upset the Packers 27-20 after Aaron Rodgers leaves with a shoulder injury.
5. UEFA Champions League action this afternoon: Bayern Munich at Plzen (2:30 p.m., MASN2) and Manchester United at Real Sociedad (2:30 p.m., Fox Sports 1).
6. Two MAC games tonight: Ohio at Buffalo (8 p.m., ESPN2) and Bowling Green at Miami of Ohio (8 p.m., ESPNU).
7. Congrats to William Byrd senior Darby McPhail, who has been named the Virginia girls winner of the Wendy’s High School Heisman.