1. Ugly night in Charlottesville, where No. 8 Wisconsin grinds out a 48-38 victory over a UVa team that shoots 23 percent.
2. All teams have bad nights, but as I wrote today, Joe Harris can’t have many of them if the Cavs are going to have the kind of season they want to have.
3. The state attorney in Florida will hold a 2 p.m. news conference to discuss the findings of the Jameis Winston investigation. Given that they’re saying they’ve exhausted their investigation, you have to assume there will be no charges. Perhaps an even greater clue that Winston isn’t headed to the clink: Vegas is still posting odds on the ACC title game at FSU by 29.
4. JMU linebacker Stephon Robinson wins the 2013 Dudley Award as the top D-1 football player in the state. Tech quarterback Logan Thomas finishes third.
5. Nice win by UNC last night, beating No. 1 Michigan State 79-65 in East Lansing.
6. Berman has a feature on Tech women’s soccer coach Chugger Adair, who took over the team in 2010 and has led it to its first Women’s College Cup appearance.
7. Tonight’s college game is Louisville at Cincy (7:30 p.m., ESPN). The pro game is plain awful: Houston (2-10) at Jacksonville (3-9).
8. Doughty reports that the two names most prominently mentioned to replace Jim Weaver as Tech AD are JMU AD Jeff Bourne and Tech associate athletic director for football operations, John Ballein.