1. Would you rather ride the bench at Alabama or be a starter at Mount Union? I realize there are plenty of possibilities in between — former Mount Union players Cecil Shorts III and Pierre Garcon are playing in the NFL, so they could have played their college ball at a lot of places. But if given just those two choices, which would you pick?
2. Mount Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater are meeting in the Stagg Bowl this week for the eighth time in nine years. That’s a lot. Berman has a feature on Vince Kehres, who took the reins at Mount Union this season after his father, Larry, retired.
3. Cool moment last night for Radford High grad Maryah Sydnor, who scored her 1,000th career point for Appalachian State — in a road game at Radford U.
4. The last of Justin Tucker’s six field goals last night was good from 61 yards, leading the Ravens over the Lions 18-16. I noticed in the pregame show that Cris Carter was 5-10 on his Monday night picks this year. Five and ten! It’s hard to be that bad, especially when you’re not even picking against the spread. He, of course, took the Lions. In fairness, even as a native Marylander, I probably would have taken the Lions, too.
5. Good column by CBS Sports’ Gregg Doyel on Mack Brown knowing when to quit.