1. All signs are pointing to the Hokies heading to the Sun Bowl, although as Andy notes, a lot depends on what happens with Clemson.
2. Congrats to Kendall Fuller, named ACC defensive rookie of the year.
3. Jarell Eddie scores a career-high 34 points to lead the short-handed Hokies (6-3) over Winthrop 81-63. Cadarian Raines scores eight points off the bench.
4. Big one in Charlottesville tonight, as the Wahoos (7-1) host No. 8 Wisconsin (8-0). Virginia is favored by 3.5. Game’s on ESPN2 at 7 p.m.
5. The ACC took four of the six games in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge last night, highlighted by Duke’s 10-point win over Michigan. Other games tonight: Maryland-Ohio State, Northwestern-N.C. State, UNC at Michigan State, BC at Purdue and Miami at Nebraska.
6. We ran a column today from the AP’s Tim Dahlberg that argued that Jameis Winston shouldn’t get the Heisman because of allegations (and no charges, yet) of sexual assault. I’m not supposed to say who I’m voting for, but it rhymes with Bamous Ginston. My problem with the integrity provision is that I couldn’t tell you with confidence how much integrity ANY of the candidates have. Have we not learned over the years that we really know very little about the personal lives of athletes? These same people saying you can’t vote for Winston probably defended Lance Armstrong for years. Either vote for the best player or abstain. Don’t give the award to a lesser player because you think the lesser player is a saint; the lesser player might just surprise you on that front.
7. Jacoby Ellsbury agrees to a 7-year contract with the Yankees. The best part is Red Sox fans on Twitter calling him a “trader.”