1. The Sun Bowl it is for the Hokies, who will face UCLA in the 2 p.m. game in El Paso, Texas on New Year’s Eve.
3. Florida State opens as a 9.5-point favorite over Auburn in the BCS title game. At the beginning of the season, who could have imagined that FSU would be on the cusp of a title? Oh, yeah. This guy.
4. Two Timesland teams have advanced to state championship games this weekend. Northside will face James Monroe for the 3A title at noon Saturday in Lynchburg, while Giles battles Brunswick at 4:30 p.m. in Salem.
5. Pretty good day of NFL action yesterday for those of us who didn’t feel like venturing outside, although the Redskins game was a notable exception. Sounds like the Skins plan to go after Baylor coach Art Briles if and when they can Mike Shanahan. Also sounds like the relationship between Shanahan and owner Dan Snyder is damaged beyond repair.
6. For $7 million a year, I’d put up with just about anything from my boss.
7. Yeah, it was kind of ugly (aren’t they all), but nice road win over Miami for the Tech men’s basketball program to open the ACC slate yesterday. The Hokies can enjoy that 1-0 conference mark for about a month before they launch headlong into ACC play with a home game against Syracuse on Jan. 7.
8. I think I enjoyed watching the World Cup draw more than people should. It was like Selection Sunday, albeit without the mystery of a bubble. As a few of our fine commenters noted on Friday, not an easy group for the U.S. with Germany, Portugal and Ghana. The U.S. is actually the longest shot of the four to win Group G, at 10-to-1. Ghana is 9-to-1, Portugal 2.75-to-1 and Germany 1-to-2. Our odds to advance out of Group G are 2.5-to-1.
9. I guess Lionel Messi is the biggest soccer star in the world right now, but I enjoy watching Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo more than any other player. Too bad we’re gonna have to eliminate his country, am I right?