1. “I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin when I could have been out for tricks or treats! Halloween is over and I missed it! You blockhead! You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin and all that came was a beagle! I didn’t get a chance to go out for tricks or treats! And it was all your fault! I’ll sue! What a fool I was. And could have had candy apples and gum! And cookies and money and all sorts of things! But no, I had to listen to you! You blockhead. What a fool I was. Trick or treats come only once a year. And I miss it by sitting in a pumpkin patch with a blockhead. You owe me restitution!” — Sally Brown
2. Those of us who attended the Tech-UVa game on Saturday might feel a little bit like Sally. They’re calling this past weekend one of the greatest in college football history, with Auburn’s stunning victory and Ohio State’s survival and all the rest of the goodness. But hey, that scoreless second half was something.
3. The fallout from that big weekend: Florida State is No. 1 in the AP poll for the first time since 2000, and the Seminoles are on a collision course with Ohio State for the BCS national title game provided both can win their conference title games on Saturday. FSU is a 28.5-point favorite over Duke, while Ohio State is a 5.5-point choice over Michigan State.
4. As has been the prevailing thought for some time now, Doug reiterates that Mike London isn’t on the hot seat this winter. You’ve got to think he’s got 2014 to show drastic improvement, and that’s it.
5. Friday will be a tremendous day for soccer. You’ve got the Tech and UVa women both playing in (separate) national semifinals, plus you have the World Cup draw.
6. Cave Spring grad J.J. Redick will be out of the Clippers lineup for six to eight weeks because of a broken bone in his shooting hand and a ligament tear in his right elbow.
7. Tech’s basketball team hosts Winthrop on Tuesday and opens ACC play at Miami on Sunday. UVa hosts Wisconsin on Wednesday and plays at Green Bay on Saturday.
8. Good Monday night game tonight: Saints at Seahawks. The Zen clan is favored by 4.5.