1. A Tech student won big in that throw-the-footballs-into-the-Dr.-Pepper-can game at the ACC title game.
2. Expect to see a lot of different Tech tailbacks in the Sun Bowl.
3. Shayne Graham’s still kicking around the NFL. The Pulaski County and Tech alum is signed by the Saints after the team’s other kicker missed two attempts and got cut. Tough job, kicker. Or at least pressure-filled.
4. Speaking of ups and downs…UNC falls to Texas.
5. Speaking of Texas…Jon Gruden is reportedly “open to hearing” from the school about its football job.
6. Southern Illinois’ Barry Hinson, this blog’s new favorite coach in the whole wide world, isn’t apologizing for the “mama’s boys” rant — or at least most of it. “I stand by everything I said last night, but I apologize for singling out one individual. I should be chastised for that,” Hinson told USA TODAY Sports in a phone interview Wednesday morning. “Let’s get something straight: I didn’t grab anybody, I didn’t hit anybody. I didn’t even use profanity. I just want my kids to play harder. You’ve gotta be able to criticize in this society. I want what’s best for my players.
“I told my players the same (message) in the locker room in a calmer manner (Tuesday night). I believe in telling people to their face exactly how I feel. I say what’s on my heart.”