Virginia Tech fans won’t have to wait long to find out if running back David Wilson is going pro. The junior scheduled an 11 a.m. press conference Friday to announce his decision, although it’s long been suspected he’ll submit his name for the NFL draft.
Wilson ran for 1,709 yards this season in his first year as the Hokies’ starting running back, breaking Ryan Williams‘ 2009 record of 1,655 yards. He was named ACC Overall and Offensive Player of the Year and was a second-team All-America selection by the Associated Press.
Earlier this month, Wilson said he was split on his decision, but he has said if he hears from the NFL draft advisory committee that he’s a first-round pick, he’ll go. Even if he hears second or third round, the track star was confident he could improve his draft stock at the NFL combine.
Wilson is currently ranked No. 22 on ESPN analyst Todd McShay‘s list of draft-eligible prospects.
Teammate Jayron Hosley, a junior cornerback, announced that he was going pro after Virginia Tech’s 23-20 overtime loss to Michigan in the Sugar Bowl on Tuesday.