The junior was one of 50 players on the watch list for the Walter Camp Award, given annually by Division I head coaches and sports information directors to college football’s player of the year.
Thomas is one of 14 quarterbacks on the list. Others include USC’s Matt Barkley, Clemson’s Tajh Boyd, Oklahoma’s Landry Jones, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, Georgia’s Aaron Murray, Michigan’s Denard Robinson, West Virginia’s Geno Smith and Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson.
ACC players on the list include Thomas, Boyd, Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, Florida State defensive end Brandon Jenkins and N.C. State defensive back David Amerson. Here’s the full list.
Thomas, who accounted for 3,482 total yards and 30 touchdowns as a sophomore, was previously named to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award (overall player) and Davey O’Brien Award (top quarterback).
He also was named to the watch list for the Manning Award, which is given to the top quarterback after the bowl games.
Here’s the complete rundown of Virginia Tech players on watch lists this summer:
- LB Bruce Taylor: Bednarik (defensive player), Nagurski (defensive player), Butkus (linebacker), Lombardi (lineman or linebacker)
- QB Logan Thomas: Maxwell (overall player), O’Brien (quarterback), Walter Camp (overall player), Manning (top QB after bowls)
- DE James Gayle: Bednarik, Lombardi
- CB Kyle Fuller: Bednarik, Nagurski
- C Andrew Miller: Rimington (center), Outland (interior lineman)
- WR Marcus Davis: Biletnikoff (receiver)