Jarrett Boykin‘s final audition proved to be a valuable one. The former Hokies wide receiver made a strong enough impression to make the Green Bay Packers’ 53-man roster after final cuts were announced Friday night.
The undrafted free agent didn’t catch on immediately after a tryout with the Jacksonville Jaguars but got a second chance after signing a free agent deal with Green Bay.
Boykin caught five passes for 82 yards and a 12-yard touchdown in the team’s preseason finale Thursday against the Kansas City Chiefs. He’ll be the Packers’ sixth receiver.
Boykin finished his college career as Virginia Tech’s career leader with 184 catches for 2,884 yards.
He is one of 19 former Virginia Tech players who made active NFL rosters. He, along with running back David Wilson and cornerback Jayron Hosley of the New York Giants, are the only players from last year’s team to make NFL rosters this season.
Receiver Danny Coale and safety Eddie Whitley were among several cuts by the Dallas Cowboys on Friday. Coale, a fifth-round draft pick, broke his foot during an offseason rookie mini-camp and didn’t have a chance to establish himself in training camp.
Waived players could be eligible to be added to practice squads of teams in the upcoming days. (UPDATE: Coale was signed to the Cowboys’ practice squad Saturday)
** UPDATE: Contrary to earlier reports, safety Cody Grimm was not released by Tampa Bay and is on the team’s 53-man roster.
Here’s a look at which Hokies are on NFL rosters this year:
Made 53-man rosters:
- LB James Anderson (Carolina)
- OT Duane Brown (Houston)
- WR Jarrett Boykin (Green Bay)
- CB Roc Carmichael (Houston)
- S Kam Chancellor (Seattle)
- CB Brandon Flowers (Kansas City)
- K Shayne Graham (Houston)
- S Cody Grimm (Tampa Bay)
- CB DeAngelo Hall (Washington)
- CB Jayron Hosley (New York Giants)
- TE Jeff King (Arizona)
- C Will Montgomery (Washington)
- WR Josh Morgan (Washington)
- WR Eddie Royal (San Diego)
- DE Darryl Tapp (Philadelphia)
- QB Tyrod Taylor (Baltimore)
- QB Michael Vick (Philadelphia)
- RB Ryan Williams (Arizona)
- RB David Wilson (New York Giants)
- LB Jason Worilds (Pittsburgh)
- OT Ed Wang (Oakland)
- LB Xavier Adibi (Chicago)
- WR Danny Coale (Dallas)
- OT Anthony Davis (San Diego)
- RB Darren Evans (Indianapolis)
- DT Carlton Powell (New York Giants)
- TE Andre Smith (Indianapolis)
- S Eddie Whitley (Dallas)
- WR David Clowney (Buffalo)
- CB Cris Hill (Buffalo)
- OT Blake DeChristopher (Arizona)
- OG Jaymes Brooks (Green Bay)