Reid is the Hokies’ first commitment since defensive lineman Wyatt Teller in the middle of August and the 18th in the 2013 class including running back Drew Harris, who is prepping at Fork Union this semester.
The 6-foot, 202-pound Reid said he expects to play running back and slot receiver at Virginia Tech. He ran for 119 yards a game last year for Thomas Dale and is playing running back, safety, outside linebacker, punt returner, kick returner and occasionally Wildcat quarterback this year.
247 Sports ranks him as a four-star recruit, the No. 11 player in the state and No. 218 prospect nationally. Rivals has him as a three-star recruit and the No. 17 player in the state.
Reid’s final two choice were Virginia Tech and South Florida. He didn’t have a chance to visit the latter but made his decision anyway.
“It was just getting down to the wire, plus I feel like it’s a perfect fit for me, because [Virginia Tech] is close to home,” he said. “My parents are going to see my games, that kind of stuff. … I’ve been around some of the Virginia Tech players when I’ve been up there, the couple times I did go. I just feel like it’s a very warm, very family environment for me.”
Hokies freshman safety Desmond Frye is a former teammate of Reid’s at Thomas Dale. Safety C.J. Reavis, a 2014 Hokies target, is one of his current teammates on the Knights.
Virginia Tech running backs coach Shane Beamer was Reid’s primary recruiter. He was also the lead recruiter for two other Richmond-area ’13 commits — safety Holland Fisher and cornerback Cequan Jefferson.
“Shane is a free spirit like me,” Reid said. “He’s very happy-go-lucky. He’s smiling. He reminds me a lot of myself. He’s genuine. Very nice. When I met him for the first time, I could tell he wasn’t putting on an act. I could tell he was genuinely cared about the person.”
Here is Virginia Tech’s updated commitment list for 2013:
- Kyle Chung, TE, 6-4, 255 Ponte Vedra, Fla. (Ponte Vedra)
- Charles Clark, DB, 5-11, 180, Suffolk (King’s Fork)
- Brandon Facyson, DB/WR, 6-2, 182 Newnan, Ga. (Northgate)
- Holland Fisher, DB, 6-2, 205, Midlothian (Manchester)
- Kendall Fuller, CB, 6-0, 175, Olney, Md. (Our Lady of Good Counsel)
- Drew Harris, RB, 6-1, 215, Downingtown, Pa. (Fork Union)
- Bucky Hodges, QB, 6-5, 225, Virginia Beach (Salem)
- Cequan Jefferson, ATH, 5-11, 167, Richmond (Henrico)
- Jamieon Moss, LB, 6-1, 210, Elizabeth City, N.C. (Northeastern)
- Andrew Motu’apuaka, LB, 6-0, 210, Virginia Beach (Salem)
- Deon Newsome, ATH, 5-11, 170, Hampton (Hampton)
- Parker Osterloh, OL, 6-7, 268, Williamsburg (Warhill)
- Carlis Parker, QB/ATH, 6-4, 187, Statesville, N.C. (Statesville)
- Braxton Pfaff, OL, 6-5, 290, Lynchburg (Liberty Christian)
- David Prince, ATH, 6-0, 175, Roanoke (Patrick Henry)
- D.J. Reid, RB/WR, 6-0, 202, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- Anthony Shegog, DB, 6-2, 195, Stafford (North Stafford)
- Wyatt Teller, DE, 6-5, 275, Bealeton (Liberty)