Just think about this: it’s possible the Blue Devils could not only clinch bowl eligibility at Lane Stadium, but do it while striking a major blow for Virginia Tech’s own bowl possibilities. Who would have ever imagined that might be the case?
Here are a few links to get your gameday started ….
** My game advance about how Duke went from a bunch of pushovers to legitimate competition under fifth-year head coach David Cutcliffe.
** Here’s yesterday’s matchups post. I predicted a 30-27 Virginia Tech victory. Give me your thoughts on the game.
** Here’s Thursday’s injury report. One point of clarification: offensive coordinator Bryan Stinespring told Frank Beamer‘s website Friday that he was unsure whether or not receiver Dyrell Roberts would be available today because of last week’s concussion. That’ll be something to watch in the pre-game.
** Virginia Tech’s twitter account noted some lineup changes/adjustments this morning. Among them:
- J.C. Coleman will start at tailback if the Hokies use a one-running back set. Michael Holmes, Tony Gregroy and Martin Scales are expected to see action.
- Micahel Via and Brent Benedict are expected to start at the guard spots. Matt Arkema will also rotate in.
- Roberts is listed as a starter but the team will gauge how much he’ll play based on how he feels in warmups.
- Antoine Hopkins will start at defensive tackle next to his brother Derrick. Sounds like Luther Maddy‘s ankle is still bothering him.
- Kevin Asante could get some work at kick return.
** Columnist Aaron McFarling weighs in with a Q&A-Mac.
** It’s a little nippy in Blacksburg. As I type this, it’s 41 degrees. It’s supposed to be up in the mid-50′s by gametime and approaching 60 by the early afternoon. Might want to bring some layers today.
** Non-football related, but Mark Berman had a good story on new basketball coach James Johnson the other day. Read it here.
** And another one: some Stadium Woods activists were arrested for protesting the school allowing people to park near the trees’ root zones. This is not a fake story.
** The line ended being Virginia Tech by 9.5 or 10 at most places. That seems awfully high. As I retweeted earlier this week, it has not been a smart proposition betting on Virginia-based teams this year. Tech and UVa are 1-10-1 against the spread this year.
** This will give you a laugh. The switching haircuts phenomenon is something I hope continues.
** If you’ve forgotten, that helmet pictured is a new look for today’s homecoming game. Here’s the full uniform.