The Sports Business Journal compiled a list of all the bowl gift packages that players will get this postseason.
The usually curmudgeonly NCAA allows schools to give $550 worth of gifts to 125 participants per school. Per the article, participants can additionally receive “awards worth up to $400 from the school and up to $400 from the conference for postseason play, covering both conference title games and any bowl game” (championship rings, I’m guessing, would fall into that category).
Here’s the Hokies’ haul from the Russell Athletic Bowl:
- $420 shopping trip to a local Best Buy (To be spent during the team’s official store visit. Balance not used that day will be forfeited.)
- Timely watch
Watches are among the most popular gifts among the bowls. Nineteen give away a Fossil watch. Eight more give away a Timely watch. Four more give away Tourneau watches. (Sidebar: do people really use watches these days? Cell phones tell time, don’t they?)
Here’s what the rest of the ACC is getting (with gift suites, you get a set amount to spend in a gallery of stuff):
- Discover Orange (Florida State): Gift suite, Tourneau watch
- Chick-fil-A (Clemson): $300 gift card, Fossil watch, Russell Athletic Chick-fil-A Bowl hat, Russell Athletic travel bag, Chick-fil-A gift card
- Hyundai Sun (Georgia Tech): Timely watch, Majestic fleece, Top of the World cap, coin, Helen of Troy hair dryer
- Belk (Duke): Shopping trip to Belk department store, Fossil watch
- Franklin American Mortgage Music City (N.C. State): Gift suite, Fossil watch