Virginia Tech updated its roster on HokieSports.com last week, which isn’t groundbreaking news except that there are a few interesting tidbits in the new jersey number selections and some other roster stuff.
A lot of these are freshmen last year who were assigned a number after redshirting. A few others are switches. I thought I’d go through them.
The Hokies start spring practice on March 27.
No. 2 – Donovan Riley (switched from No. 31; wearing Michael Cole‘s old number)
No. 4 – DE Ken Ekanem (same as J.C. Coleman. This was the case last year too, although an offseason rule change seems like it would prevent this — the fourth bullet point at the bottom)
No. 7 — Nobody. My guess is they’re probably saving it for an incoming freshman, since it’s a fairly prominent number at Tech.
No. 9 — QB Brendan Motley (Randall Dunn‘s old number)
No. 13 — CB Davion Tookes
No. 15 — WR Joel Caleb
No. 16 — QB Carlis Parker
No. 21 — WR Mark Irick
No. 23 — WR Der’Woun Greene (also of note: he’s listed as a flanker and not a cornerback, where he finished up last year)
No. 25 – RB Jerome Wright (Martin Scales‘ old number)
No. 28 — RB Chris Mangus (Alonzo Tweedy‘s old number)
No. 31 – CB Brandon Facyson (Riley’s old number; also he’s listed as a cornerback to start, which was expected but I don’t think ever formally announced)
No. 43 – DE Seth Dooley (Jeron Gouveia-Winslow‘s old number)
No. 44 — LB Devin Vandyke
No. 45 – PK Brooks Abbott (used to be No. 21, now wearing Joey Phillips’ old number)
No. 49 — TE Dakota Jackson
No. 51 — C Jack Willenbrock (Bruce Taylor‘s old number)
No. 53 — DE Jarontay Jones
No. 60 — DE Woody Baron
No. 62 — DT Ross Ward
No. 67 — OT Parker Osterloh (Michael Via‘s old number)
No. 71 — OT Jonathan McLaughlin (Vinston Painter‘s old number)
No. 72 — OT Augie Conte
No. 75 — OT Adam Tarashcke
No. 83 — WR Charley Meyer
No. 85 — WR E.L. Smiling (used to be No. 23; now wearing old number of P Hunter Windmuller, who is still on the roster but not assigned a specific number)
No. 86 — TE Zack McCray (was No. 95 as a defensive end; now wearing Eric Martin‘s old number)
No. 87 — DE Dewayne Alford (wearing old number of Justin Taylor, who changed his)
No. 93 — DE Justin Taylor (wearing old number of P Ethan Keyserling, who is still on the roster but not assigned a specific number)
No. 94 — DT Alston Smith
No. 95 — DT Nigel Williams
There are a couple other items of note:
– WR Josh Stanford and LB Deon Clarke are both listed as redshirt freshmen. If you’ll remember, they had to file a waiver to get last season as a medical year because they both played. Stanford caught a pass against Austin Peay but suffered a knee injury that kept him out for the year. Clarke played in the first three games before suffering an injury (although it never appeared on the injury report).
Players are required to have been injured in the first half of the season and played in less than 20 percent of the team’s games to qualify for a medical hardship waiver. The rule rounds up, so even though 20 percent of the Hokies’ 13 games is 2.6, that rounds up to three, which would keep Clarke under the threshold.
Now, Tech hasn’t confirmed that the redshirt requests have been approved by the NCAA, but they are listed that way on the roster.
– Both QB Brian Rody and LB Josh Trimble are back on the roster. The walk-ons, if you’ll remember, were suspended indefinitely after being arrested for making what amounted to a homemade works bomb. The charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor in January and both were sentenced to community service.
– I hadn’t heard any reinstatement news on OLB Dahman McKinnon at the end of last week, although now that his felony hit-and-run charge was reduced to a misdemeanor (and just a $100 fine when all was said and done), I’d expect his reinstatement to come sometime before spring practice starts March 27.
– Long snapper Joe St. Germain is not on the roster, for reasons that I’m not sure. It’d odd, since he was awarded a scholarship in January. I’m not sure what the case is there. (UPDATE: St. Germain was added to the online roster. Must have just been a data entry error.)
– Here are a few other walk-ons from last year that aren’t on the roster right now. Not sure if it is permanent or just an accidental omission: LS Logan Baker, OT Darian Fisher, FB Justus Hoffmann and WR David Mellstrom.
– I don’t believe any of the heights and weights are updated.