Obviously, the focus this weekend will be basketball, with conference tournaments in full swing. But I had something left over from last week that I tweeted but didn’t blog about athletic director salaries.
USA Today, which does its annual football coaching salary database, did the same thing last week with athletic directors across the country.
Virginia Tech’s Jim Weaver receives $621,529 annually, which puts him fifth in the ACC and 28th nationally. Weaver’s pay includes a $601,529 base salary with $20,000 in “other” pay. He is also eligible for bonuses up to $123,255. The report did not specify what requirement needed to be met to achieve the bonus.
If you missed Mark Berman‘s story on Weaver from last weekend, you can get to it here. Weaver, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, reiterated that he intends to remain the Hokies’ AD until his contract ends in December 2015. He’ll be 70 years old then.
Duke’s Kevin White is the highest paid of the current ACC athletic directors, earning $906,536 a year. When Notre Dame joins the league in all sports except football and hockey, Jack Swarbrick will shoot to the top. He earns $1,026,942.
Two recently-hired athletic directors – Clemson’s Dan Radakovich and Georgia Tech’s Mike Bobinski — rank second and fourth in the ACC, respectively.
Several ADs on the low end of the pay scale in the ACC have bonuses that could offset that. N.C. State’s Debbie Yow, whose total pay currently ranks eighth in the ACC, is eligible for a bonus of up to $546,000, more than her base salary.
Weaver’s potential $123,255 bonus is the third largest in the ACC to Yow and Florida State’s Randy Spetman ($330,000). If Weaver earns his entire bonus, it would vault him up to be the second-highest paid AD of current ACC schools.
Here’s a list of every AD’s total pay and potential bonus in the ACC, with members joining this summer thrown in there as well. Boston College and Miami are private institutions and didn’t have to comply to the USA Today’s public records request.
Athletic director, School — Total pay (Maximum bonus)
- Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame — $1,026,942 ($0)
- Kevin White, Duke — $906,536 ($0)
- Dan Radakovich, Clemson — $725,000 ($0)
- Ron Wellman, Wake Forest — $688,000 ($0)
- Mike Bobinski, Georgia Tech — $625,000 ($0)
- Jim Weaver, Virginia Tech — $621,529 ($123,255)
- Steve Pederson, Pittsburgh — $595,595 ($0)
- Craig Littlepage, Virginia — $586,750 ($100,000)
- Darryl Gross, Syracuse — $570,057 ($0)
- Bubba Cunningham, North Carolina — $565,000 ($0)
- Debbie Yow, N.C. State — $500,000 ($546,000)
- Kevin Anderson, Maryland — $499,490 ($50,000)
- Randy Spetman, Florida State — $350,000 ($330,000)
- Brad Bates, Boston College — N/A
- Blake James, Miami — N/A
Here’s a glance at who is around Weaver nationally in total pay (max bonus in parentheses):
- 26. Mike Bobinski, Georgia Tech — $625,000 ($0)
- 27. Oliver Luck, West Virginia – $625,000 ($150,000)
- 28. Jim Weaver, Virginia Tech — $601,529 ($123,255)
- 29. Jay Jacobs, Auburn — $612,000 ($150,000)
- 30. Sandy Barbour, California — $576,931 ($271,004)