Woodbridge athlete Travon McMillian become the eighth commitment in Virginia Tech’s 2014 class when he publicly announced Thursday that he’ll sign with the Hokies next February. TechSideline.com was at McMillian’s press conference this afternoon.
The C.D. Hylton High quarterback, who had 14 Football Bowl Subdivision offers, chose Virginia Tech over finalists California and Georgia Tech.
Rivals and 247 Sports list him as a three-star recruit. 247 Sports ranks him as the No. 17 player in the state. The Roanoke Times’ Doug Doughty ranked him as the No. 6 junior in the state.
The 6-foot, 196-pound McMillian plays quarterback for C.D. Hylton, throwing for 1,313 yards and running for 1,194 last season. Some schools were looking at McMillian as a defensive player, although his entire history is on offense. It’s unclear if he’ll end up at quarterback at Virginia Tech.
“He hasn’t played a down on [defense],” C.D. Hylton coach Tony Lilly said. “Not yet. He’s too daggone valuable at quarterback.”
Bud Foster is McMillian’s primary recruiter. Commitments are non-binding until National Signing Day next February.
McMillian is the Hokies’ eighth commitment for 2014 and their third since last Saturday. Here is an updated list:
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- DB Kalen McCain, 6-1, 175, Durham, N.C. (Hillside)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)