Smith, a 6-foot-5, 250-pound offensive tackle for Don Bosco Prep, tweeted the news Tuesday night.
Verbally committed to play football at Virgina Tech!! #HokieNation— Tyrell Smith (@TyrellSmith76) June 26, 2013
Smith is a three-star recruit by 247 Sports and a two-star prospect by Rivals. Those sites list him as having offers from Florida Atlantic and UMass, but he had drawn interest from bigger schools like Boston College, Miami, Rutgers and Syracuse.
Jeff Grimes and Cornell Brown were Smith’s primary recruiters.
He’s the second Hokies offensive line commitment for 2014, joining Eric Gallo from Holland, Pa.
Virginia Tech has 12 commitments for 2014, four of which are from outside the state. Those commitments are non-binding until National Signing Day next February.
Here is an updated list:
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw, 6-0, 175, Chesapeake (Oscar Smith)
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- QB Andrew Ford, 6-3, 180, Camp Hill, Pa. (Cedar Cliff)
- OL Eric Gallo, 6-2, 275, Holland, Pa. (Council Rock South)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- DB Shawn Payne, 6-2, 180, Chesterfield (L.C. Bird)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- OL Tyrell Smith, 6-5, 250, Ramsey, N.J. (Don Bosco Prep)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)
Here’s Smith’s junior year highlight reel: