Up in Ohio, Colt Pettit hadn’t heard much about Virginia Tech until several months ago when Hokies offensive line coach Jeff Grimes got in contact with him after watching the lineman’s highlight video.
He got an offer, took a visit to Blacksburg yesterday and decided to commit Wednesday, becoming Tech’s 14th commitment in the 2014 class.
The 6-foot-4, 260-pound Pettit is a three-star prospect by both Rivals and 247 Sports, keeping in line with Grimes’ approach this offseason of targeting out-of-state linemen who aren’t the biggest but can move. 247 Sports ranks him as the No. 31 player in Ohio, while Rivals ranks him 59th.
“I’d say I’m more of an athletic lineman,” Pettit said. “I’m a good puller. I pull on most plays in high school. Coach Grimes loves that about me. My coach says I’m very explosive off the line, so I’d say that’s one of my stronger aspects.”
All four of the Hokies’ offensive line commitments are from out of state (two from New Jersey, one from Pennsylvania and now one from Ohio), continuing a northern trend for many of the prospects in this year’s class. Pettit is the first Hokies commitment from Ohio since 2006, when offensive linemen Aaron Brown and Clark Crum signed.
Pettit, who is from Deshler, Ohio, said he had 17 offers, with Virginia Tech and Indiana at the top of his list. He hit it off with Grimes, who served as his primary recruiter.
“He’s a big Christian guy, which sticks out to me a lot,” Pettit said. “He’s a first-class guy.”
Pettit plays on both sides of the line at Patrick Henry High but said he’s been told he could play anywhere on the line in college. He’s 260 pounds right now but hopes to get up to around 280 before he gets to Tech.
“Obviously, put on that good muscle, good weight,” he said. “No fat. Nothing like that.”
Virginia Tech now has 14 commitments for 2104. They are non-binding until National Signing Day next February. Here is an updated list:
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw, 6-0, 175, Chesapeake (Oscar Smith)
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- QB Andrew Ford, 6-3, 180, Camp Hill, Pa. (Cedar Cliff)
- OL Eric Gallo, 6-2, 275, Holland, Pa. (Council Rock South)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- OL Billy Ray Mitchell, 6-3, 288, Paramus, N.J. (Paramus Catholic)
- DB Shawn Payne, 6-2, 180, Chesterfield (L.C. Bird)
- OL Colt Pettit, 6-4, 260, Deshler, Ohio (Patrick Henry)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- OL Tyrell Smith, 6-5, 250, Ramsey, N.J. (Don Bosco Prep)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)
Here’s Pettit’s highlight tape: