With the Hokies set to begin practice this evening, Virginia Tech has released an updated depth chart.
The most striking listing is true freshman Kendall Fuller as a whip linebacker, which probably suggests he’s in store for a nickel role this year. He and Ronny Vandyke, a true whip, are listed as co-No. 1′s at the position, although that is the spot that generally switches from a linebacker to a cornerback in the nickel formation.
Fuller, the youngest of the football playing brothers from Baltimore who have all played for the Hokies, is Tech’s first five-star signee since Tyrod Taylor.
Also, Frank Beamer‘s website dropped this nugget about Joel Caleb.
A couple of depth chart adjustments following this AM staff mtg. Caleb will get reps at TB and Motuapuaka will not be cleared until tomorrow— Beamer Ball (@Beamer_Ball) August 5, 2013
That says something about Virginia Tech’s depth at tailback. It also probably says something about how slow Caleb, a high school quarterback, was catching on at receiver.
Here are some other notable depth chart listings:
– The first-team offensive line, from left to right, is: Jonathan McLaughlin, Brent Benedict, Caleb Farris, Andrew Miller and Laurence Gibson. That’s a slight change from the spring game, when Mark Shuman was a surprise starter at left guard. He’s the backup to Benedict right now.
– David Wang, who returns from leg injuries that spoiled his 2012 season and continued in the spring, is listed as the backup center.
– D.J. Coles and Demitri Knowles, as expected, are listed as the starting wide receivers. Josh Stanford and Charley Meyer, who got plenty of kudos as the ACC Kickoff, are listed as their backups.
– Zack McCray is the No. 2 tight end, behind Ryan Malleck.
– Carlis Parker is only listed as a wide receiver. Perhaps his quarterback days are officially over?
– J.R. Collins and Dadi Nicolas are listed as co-No. 1′s, just like they were at the end of the spring.
– The top backup tackles are Corey Marshall and Woody Baron. Marshall played mostly defensive end this year, but this is an indication that Tech will try him on the interior again, probably because of how good the depth is at end. Marshall is also listed as a third-team DE, however.
– Brandon Facyson and Donaldven Manning are the co-No. 1′s at the cornerback position still vacated by Antone Exum right now. That’s not to say Exum won’t return in time for the Alabama game, but he has a doctor’s checkup today that will obviously keep him out of the first day.
– He’s way down on the depth chart, but freshman Wyatt Teller is listed as a defensive tackle, not an end. Perhaps that’s a way to give him a quicker route to get on the field this year? Also of note there: Kris Harley is down to fourth string. Not an encouraging sign for a guy who hasn’t seemed to put it all together yet.
Here’s a look at the a depth chart that goes to the third team:
- WR: D.J. Coles, Josh Stanford, E.L. Smiling
- LT: Jonathan McLaughlin, Jake Goins, Ross Ward
- LG: Brent Benedict, Mark Shuman, Kyle Chung
- C: Caleb Farris, David Wang, Matt Arkema
- RG Andrew Miller, Adam Taraschke, Marcus Mapp
- RT: Laurence Gibson Augie Conte, Parker Osterloh
- TE: Ryan Malleck, Zack McCray, Duan Perez-Means
- QB: Logan Thomas, Mark Leal, Brian Rody
- RB: Trey Edmunds OR J.C. Coleman, Tony Gregory
- FB: Fuller Hoepner OR Greg Gaddell OR Jerome Wright, Sam Rogers
- WR: Demitri Knowles, Charley Meyer, Joel Caleb
- DE: James Gayle, Tyrel Wilson, Matt Roth
- DT: Derrick Hopkins, Woody Baron, Alston Smith, Wyatt Teller
- DT: Luther Maddy, Corey Marshall, Nigel Williams
- DE: J.R. Collins, Dadi Nicolas, Corey Marshall
- Whip: Ronny Vandyke OR Kendall Fuller, Josh Trimble
- Mike: Jack Tyler, Chase Williams, Devin Vandyke
- Backer: Tariq Edwards, Deon Clarke, Dahman McKinnon
- Field CB: Brandon Facyson OR Donaldven Manning, Nick Bush
- FS: Detrick Bonner, Der’woun Greene, Chuck Clarke OR Greg Jones
- Rover: Kyshoen Jarrett, Desmond Frye, Anthony Shegog or Zach Snell
- Boundary CB: Kyle Fuller, Donovan Riley, Davion Tookes
- FG: Cody Journell, Mitchell Ludwig, R.J. Warfel
- KO: None listed
- P: A.J. Hughes
- LS: Joe St.Germain, Eddie D’Antuoino
- Holder: Trey Gresh, Mark Leal