Ricky Walker, a four-star, 6-foot-2, 275-pound defensive tackle from Hampton, tweeted Sunday morning that he has committed to the Hokies for 2014.
I am officially committed to VIRGINIA TECH ! #Hokies— Ricky Lake ! (@RickGoGetEmWalk) October 6, 2013
Walker is a big get in a couple of ways for the Hokies. He’s the third four-star high school recruit in the class, according to Rivals’ rankings, joining defensive backs Javon Harrison and C.J. Reavis.
He’s also the first defensive tackle, a big development considering Virginia Tech is thin at the position going forward, with current freshmen Wyatt Teller and Alston Smith switching over to the offensive line.
Rivals ranks Walker as the No. 19 defensive tackle in the country, No. 8 player in the state and the No. 216 player overall. 247 Sports has him as the No. 22 tackle nationally and No. 10 player in the state.
Walker, who plays at Bethel High, had dozens of offers from around the country. He narrowed his list to North Carolina, Penn State, Pittsburgh, South Carolina and Virginia Tech this summer before opening things back up in August. He visited Nebraska last month, according to Rivals.
As a junior, Walker had 70 tackles and 11 sacks in 10 games, earning first-team all-district and all-region honors on both sides of the ball. He was named the Daily Press’ defensive player of the year.
Cornell Brown was Walker’s primary recruiter. Commitments are non-binding until recruits can send in letters of intent in February.
Walker is the 18th high school commitment for the Hokies in 2014. Three players at Fork Union – Holland Fisher, Cequan Jefferson and D.J. Reid – are expected to sign with Virginia Tech again this winter as well.
Here is an updated commitment list for 2014:
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw, 6-0, 175, Chesapeake (Oscar Smith)
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- DB Holland Fisher, 6-1, 190, Midlothian (Fork Union)
- QB Andrew Ford, 6-3, 180, Camp Hill, Pa. (Cedar Cliff)
- OL Eric Gallo, 6-2, 275, Holland, Pa. (Council Rock South)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- DB Cequan Jefferson, 5-11, 175, Richmond (Fork Union)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- OL Billy Ray Mitchell, 6-3, 288, Paramus, N.J. (Paramus Catholic)
- DB Shawn Payne, 6-2, 180, Chesterfield (L.C. Bird)
- OL Colt Pettit, 6-4, 260, Deshler, Ohio (Patrick Henry)
- WR Cameron Phillips, 6-0, 178, Hyattsville, Md. (DeMatha Catholic)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- RB D.J. Reid, 6-1, 215, Chester (Fork Union)
- OL Tyrell Smith, 6-5, 250, Ramsey, N.J. (Don Bosco Prep)
- CB Greg Stroman, 5-11, 160, Manassas (Stonewall Jackson)
- OT Brady Taylor, 6-5, 275, Columbus, Ohio (Bishop Ready)
- DT Ricky Walker, 6-2, 275, Hampton (Bethel)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)
Here’s Walker’s highlight video: