Kendrick Holland, a 6-foot-4, 193-pound receiver from Winter Haven, Fla., tweeted that he committed to the Hokies. Commitments are non-binding until National Signing Day in February.
I just committed to VT! Future HOKIE :)— Kendrick Holland (@BigDreams_7) October 22, 2013
Holland had offers from several schools but had the highest interest from Minnesota and Kentucky, according to Rivals. He’s a three-star recruit by both 247 Sports and Rivals. 247 Sports lists him as the No. 66 receiver nationally and No. 72 player in Florida.
Holland finished with 50 catches for 770 yards in 2012, helping Winter Haven High to a 10-2 record and a playoff berth despite playing with a torn labrum. He had shoulder surgery last offseason and has 20 catches for 571 yards and three touchdowns this year.
Torrian Gray was Holland’s primary recruiter. Defensive back Javon Harrison, another ’14 commit, is from nearby Lakeland. They’re the only two commitments in the class from Florida.
Holland is the 22nd commitment for Virginia Tech’s 2014 class, including three prep school players at Fork Union expected to re-sign with the Hokies. He’s the third true receiver, joining Jaylen Bradshaw of Chesapeake and Cam Phillips of Hyattsville, Md., although others could play receiver as well.
Here is an updated commitment list for 2014:
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw, 6-0, 175, Chesapeake (Oscar Smith)
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- DB Holland Fisher, 6-1, 190, Midlothian (Fork Union)
- QB Andrew Ford, 6-3, 180, Camp Hill, Pa. (Cedar Cliff)
- OL Eric Gallo, 6-2, 275, Holland, Pa. (Council Rock South)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- WR Kendrick Holland, 6-4, 193, Winter Haven, Fla. (Winter Haven)
- DB Cequan Jefferson, 5-11, 175, Richmond (Fork Union)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- OL Billy Ray Mitchell, 6-3, 288, Paramus, N.J. (Paramus Catholic)
- DB Shawn Payne, 6-2, 180, Chesterfield (L.C. Bird)
- OL Colt Pettit, 6-4, 260, Deshler, Ohio (Patrick Henry)
- WR Cameron Phillips, 6-0, 178, Hyattsville, Md. (DeMatha Catholic)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- RB D.J. Reid, 6-1, 215, Chester (Fork Union)
- OL Tyrell Smith, 6-5, 250, Ramsey, N.J. (Don Bosco Prep)
- CB Greg Stroman, 5-11, 160, Manassas (Stonewall Jackson)
- OT Brady Taylor, 6-5, 275, Columbus, Ohio (Bishop Ready)
- DT Ricky Walker, 6-2, 275, Hampton (Bethel)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)
And here’s Holland’s highlight reel: