The 6-foot-1, 215-pound senior, who played receiver as a junior, was a quarterback for the Blue Devils this season, although he was mostly a runner, scoring 26 touchdowns and rushing for 177 yards per game. He ran for a school record 403 yards and five touchdowns in a game against Petersburg.
Virginia Tech expects him to play running back in college.
“He’s a very explosive runner. He’s powerful,” Hopewell coach Ricky Irby said. “He’s a power guy. He’s not a speedy, jitterbug guy. He’s a power guy for sure. I think he’ll fit great with what coach [Jeff] Grimes is trying to do up there.”
Taylor also had an offer from James Madison, according to 247 Sports, although Maryland and Old Dominion also expressed interest. The Hokies were the first to offer. Irby said Taylor still hasn’t qualified, so a prep year could be an option, something he thinks scared some teams off in the recruiting process.
247 Sports lists him as a 3-star recruit and the No. 21 player in Virginia. Rivals has him as a two-star player.
Running backs coach Shane Beamer was Taylor’s primary recruiter.
Taylor is the first player from Hopewell to go to a major D-I school since defensive lineman Monsanto Pope went to Virginia in 1997.
Taylor the second high school running back in the class, joining Phoebus’ Marshawn Williams, who is considered to be the top tailback in the state and will enroll at Tech in January. D.J. Reid, a 2013 signee who went to Fork Union this fall, is also a running back.
Taylor is the 21st high school commitment for the Hokies in the 2014 class. In addition to Reid, they have two other players expected to sign from Fork Union. Here is an updated commitment list:
- WR Jaylen Bradshaw, 6-0, 175, Chesapeake (Oscar Smith)
- TE Xavier Burke, 6-3, 247, Lawrenceville (Brunswick)
- DB Terrell Edmunds, 6-1, 180, Danville (Dan River)
- DB Holland Fisher, 6-1, 190, Midlothian (Fork Union)
- QB Andrew Ford, 6-3, 180, Camp Hill, Pa. (Cedar Cliff)
- OL Eric Gallo, 6-2, 275, Holland, Pa. (Council Rock South)
- DB Javon Harrison, 6-2, 190, Lakeland, Fla. (Kathleen)
- WR Kendrick Holland, 6-4, 193, Winter Haven, Fla. (Winter Haven)
- DB Cequan Jefferson, 5-11, 175, Richmond (Fork Union)
- ATH Travon McMillian, 6-0, 196, Woodbridge (C.D. Hylton)
- DE Vincent Mihota, 6-4, 240, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- OL Billy Ray Mitchell, 6-3, 288, Paramus, N.J. (Paramus Catholic)
- DB Shawn Payne, 6-2, 180, Chesterfield (L.C. Bird)
- OL Colt Pettit, 6-4, 260, Deshler, Ohio (Patrick Henry)
- WR Cameron Phillips, 6-0, 178, Hyattsville, Md. (DeMatha Catholic)
- DB C.J. Reavis, 6-0, 199, Chester (Thomas Dale)
- RB D.J. Reid, 6-1, 215, Chester (Fork Union)
- OL Tyrell Smith, 6-5, 250, Ramsey, N.J. (Don Bosco Prep)
- DT Steve Sobczak, 6-1, 285, Fredericksburg (Massaponax)
- CB Greg Stroman, 5-11, 160, Manassas (Stonewall Jackson)
- OT Brady Taylor, 6-5, 275, Columbus, Ohio (Bishop Ready)
- RB Tabyus Taylor, 6-1, 215, Hopewell (Hopewell)
- DT Ricky Walker, 6-2, 275, Hampton (Bethel)
- RB Marshawn Williams, 5-11, 200, Hampton (Hampton)
Here is a highlight reel of Taylor: