This comes from Virginian-Pilot Old Dominion beat writer Harry Minium, who reports that Virginia Tech and Old Dominion have agreed to play four more games from 2022-25.
That means the teams will meet seven times by 2025. The schools already scheduled a 2-for-1 deal from 2017-19 that includes two games in Blacksburg and one in Norfolk.
The new deal calls for the teams to trade home games, in Norfolk in 2022 and ’24 and Blacksburg in 2023 and ’25.
From Harry’s article:
Tech had originally offered to sign another 2-for-1 deal with ODU, which would have the Monarchs coming to Blacksburg twice in return for a game in Norfolk. But [Tech associate director of athletics for football operations John] Ballein said he quickly agreed when [ODU athletic director Wood] Selig suggested a home and home series.
“I think it makes perfect sense to play an in-state school that’s up and coming,” said Ballein, a former coach at Wilson and Western Branch high schools.
“We recruit that area. It’s an opportunity for our fans in that area to see us there and the opportunity for ODU fans to see the other side of the state.”
Ballein said the contract calls for a $500,000 per game buyout if either school decides to cancel. It also calls for the games in Norfolk to be played in a new stadium, beginning in 2022.
ODU recently released a campus master plan that calls for a new, 30,000-seat stadium to replace Foreman Field, which seats 20,118.
“Old Dominion’s program has generated a lot of excitement in that area,” Ballein said. “When they move into a new stadium, it’s going to grow even more. I’ve always thought that a football program there would be successful and they’ve been very successful.”
Ballein also said Tech is close to finalizing future games with Big Ten teams, although he declined to say which ones. The Hokies already have games lined up with Ohio State (2014-15), Wisconsin (2019-20), Michigan (2020-21) and Penn State (2022-23).
The Hokies’ future non-conference schedules are as follows:
- 2014: vs. William & Mary, at Ohio State, vs. East Carolina, vs. Western Michigan
- 2015: vs. Ohio State, vs. Furman, at East Carolina
- 2016: vs. Liberty, vs. Tennessee (at Bristol), vs. East Carolina, at Notre Dame
- 2017: vs. Delaware, at East Carolina, vs. Old Dominion
- 2018: vs. William & Mary, at Old Dominion, vs. East Carolina
- 2019: vs. Charlotte, vs. Old Dominion, at Wisconsin, at East Carolina
- 2020: vs. Liberty, vs. Wisconsin, at Michigan, vs. East Carolina
- 2021: vs. Richmond, vs. Michigan, at West Virginia
- 2022: vs. Penn State, vs. West Virginia, at Old Dominion
- 2023: at Penn State, vs. Old Dominion
- 2024: at Old Dominion
- 2025: vs. Old Dominion