While top 10 teams were stumbling across the country, Virginia Tech enjoyed the tranquility of the bye week. It moved up a few spots in the polls as a result.
The Hokies came in at No. 16 in this week’s Associated Press poll and No. 19 in the USA Today coaches poll. That’s up three spots in the AP and one spot in the coaches poll.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.
There was carnage in the AP top 10 this week, with No. 3 Clemson, No. 6 LSU, No. 7 Texas A&M, No. 8 Louisville and No. 9 UCLA all losing. No. 11 South Carolina and No. 15 Georgia also lost.
Virginia Tech moved past Louisville, South Carolina, Georgia and even Oklahoma, which beat Kansas but didn’t impress. Auburn, which upset Texas A&M in College Station, vaulted past the Hokies to No. 11 in the AP poll.
The move in the coaches poll was more modest. Tech passed South Carolina and Georgia, but was again jumped by Auburn.
The ACC kept three teams in the top 10, despite Florida State’s walloping of Clemson. FSU is No. 3 in both polls, behind Alabama and Oregon. Miami is sixth in the AP poll and seventh in the coaches. Clemson is ninth and 10th.
Virginia Tech hosts Duke at Lane Stadium on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
Here’s a glance at the Hokies in the AP poll:
- 14. Texas A&M, 5-2, 683 points, LW: 7
- 15. Fresno State, 6-0, 550 points, LW: 17
- 16. Virginia Tech, 6-1, 509 points, LW: 19
- 17. Oklahoma, 6-1, 501 points, LW: 18
- 18. Louisville, 6-1, 428 points, LW; 8
Here’s a glance at the USA Today coaches poll:
- 17. Auburn, 6-1, 571 points, LW: NR
- 18. Fresno State, 6-0, 537 points, LW: 19
- 19. Virginia Tech, 6-1, 499 points, LW: 20
- 20. South Carolina, 5-2, 468 points, LW: 9
- 21. Nebraska, 5-1, 385 points, LW: 21