Wednesday afternoon Mill Mountain Theatre announced the plays that will comprise the theater’s 2014 season — the year of the Equity theater’s 50th anniversary.
First, there will be two winter plays presented in partnership with Hollins University.
- “Decision Height,” Jan. 24-26, Trinkle Main Stage: An awarding winning play about woman pilots in World War II written by Hollins grad student Meredith Dayna Levy. The performance kicks off the 2014 Region IV division of the Kennedy Center’s American College Theater Festival, which takes place at Hollins this year.
- “Ben and Rita,” Feb. 18-23, Waldron Stage. This relationship comedy written by Hollins grad student Wendy-Marie Martin debuted this past summer during the Hollins Festival of New Works.
Then, there will be a regular season of four shows on the Trinkle Main Stage.
- “Swing,” May 7-18, brings back the music and dance of the 1940s, celebrating the sounds of Duke Ellington, Count Basie and more.
- “The Wizard of Oz,” Aug. 1-3. Young students from the Mill Mountain Theatre Conversatory program will put on and perform this classic children’s fable.
- “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Oct. 1-12. The stage adaptation of Harper Lee’s classic American novel.
- “Children of Eden,” Dec. 3-21. A musical by Stephen Schwartz (“Godspell,” “Wicked”) based on the Book of Genesis, that had its American premiere at Mill Mountain in 1991.