The calendar still says August, but the chill in the air says fall. So does the scene at left, from last week’s Lord Botetourt-James River football game. Fall sports are kicking off — sometimes literally.
And that makes now a good time for a few programming notes:
* We want your fall sports photos. If you have photos that involve teams or players from Botetourt County, you can share them at email@example.com. We’ll post them here — and use as many as we can in full color in our weekly print edition, which reaches more than 90 percent of the households in Botetourt County. We can’t be everywhere with our cameras, but you’re already there, so send ‘em on! (How do we do that 90 percent thing? See below!)
* Check here for junior varsity and middle school scores. Our cousins in the sports department at The Roanoke Times publish varsity scores, but not lower age levels. We will, and we have. Here are the most recent results from Lord Botetourt and James River. We care about all sports at all age levels. If you’re not seeing your school’s action here, ask ‘em to send it — or you can send your own report. Rec league, too!
We also introduce a new special feature this week — an online poll.
When should the Botetourt County Board of Supervisors meet — by day or by night? Vote in our poll, and weigh in with comments, if you’d like.
And now . . . .In Friday’s print edition, you’ll see places where we say “see the Notebook” for more. Here’s a guide to where to find those online extras:
* Three arrested in Daleville Subway break-in
* 24-hour health club coming to Bonsack
* Lord Botetourt grad supervises presidential poll
* Lee and Leslie Dunbar from Eagle Rock take first places at Old Fiddler’s Convention
* Author Homer Hickam comments on our blog about James River’s summer reading list
* Cathy Benson’s Terrific Tuesday column
* Fincastle Rescue Squad holds open house
* More back-to-school photos
* Another photo from Cheryl Lunsford’s guitar camp
* Who’s selling beer to your kids? See which stores have been busted for selling to underage buyers.
And in sports…
* Webcast features video from James River- Lord Botetourt football game.
* Photo gallery from James River – Lord Botetourt junior varsity football.
* Photo gallery from SJ Carter from James River – Lord Botetourt varsity football.
* Photo gallery from Kyle Green from James River – Lord Botetourt varsity football.
* Photos of the Lord Botetourt field house
* More photos of the Scrappers softball team
Want to get your news and photos in The Botetourt View? Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more — including information on advertising and classified ads — see below:
* You can meet our community journalist for Botetourt, Cathy Benson. She keeps regular offices hours at our Botetourt “bureau” — at Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea in Daleville. Here’s her schedule.
* So how do we reach 90 percent of the households in Botetourt County? Here’s how: Subscribers to The Roanoke Times get it included in their Friday paper; non-subscribers have it mailed to them as part of the weekly Simply Savings advertising flier. Those two add up to more than 90 percent. Plus, we have some free copies available at Kroger, Food Lion, the Botetourt Athletic Club and the Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea in Daleville, in case you we somehow miss you.
* Are you an advertiser who wants to reach more than 90 percent of the households in Botetourt? To find out more, you can email us at email@example.com. If you want to place a classified ad in our Botetourt edition, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.