From AD Vicki White:The Read Mountain Middle School football team is now 4-0 with a victory over Hidden Valley Middle School Thursday, Sept. 18. The Starz recorded their third shutout in four games with a 20-0 victory. DeRell Stone stopped an early Hidden Valley drive with a one handed interception that he almost took the distance. Aaron Gunter had a long touchdown run to put the Starz up 6-0 at the half. The Starz defense stepped up and played well as a unit when Thomas Kennedy and DeRell Stone both were injured in the game. The defense was lead by Aaron Gunter, Sam Ross and Ben Quiren, who helped limit Hidden Valley to only 54 yards rushing. Daniel Rader had two tackles in the third quarter that accounted for almost 30 negative yards for the Eagles. Dylan Gussler and Brandon Gil lead the special teams both making huge plays on the kickoff team. The offense was lead by the running of Aaron Gunter – 9 carries for 139 yards and a touchdown and Connor Bronson – 2 carries and 37 yards and a touchdown. The Starz will face Northside Middle School this Thursday, September 25.
The lady Starz volleyball team was on the road both Wednesday against Clifton Forge and Thursday against Cave Spring. They lost both games but came out fierce against Cave Spring, going point to point with the Squire of Cave Spring only coming up short at the very end. Kallie Cooper was the dominating server.
OTHER RECENT READ MOUNTAIN COVERAGE
* Sept. 17: Read Mountain wins in volleyball, falls in football
* Sept. 12: Photos from Read Mountain’s football win over Ben Franklin
* Sept. 9: Read Mountain Middle School defeats Staunton River in football
Sept. 9: Read Mountain volleyball defeats Andrew Lewis
* Sept. 8: Photo gallery: Back to School night at Read Mountain Middle School
* Sept. 2: Read Mountain football team defeats Clifton Forge
* Sept. 2: Read Mountain volleyball team defeats Cave Spring