For almost 30 years the Botetourt Town and Country Woman’s Club has held activities to benefit the youth of Botetourt County. None more fun than another generation of middle schoolers at Saturday night’s first Teen Scene of the year sponsored by BTCWC held at Central Academy. Kids from both county middle schools attended. They danced non stop for three hours!
As an old hand at the teen scene Events, Annette Clark who acted as a dance chaperone for the club said, “This group seems to dance more than the groups before.” Indeed the gym was full of throbbing clusters of students not unlike a Watusi tribe getting ready for battle. It was a mini version of a dance revolution.
The cafeteria provided a place for snacks and “glo- in- the- dark” items to be purchased. The DJ’s never took a break and amazingly, these kids knew many line dances unheard of to the older folks chaperoning the dance. It was absoluteley mazing to watch dozens of kids do the Cotton Eye Joe, the Electric Slide and the Cha, Cha and plenty of other unamed dances!
Slow dances brought many 6th graders into uncharted territory– the first dance with a crush or just a member of the class. Some were boy asks girls and othe rs were girl asks boy. The announcer always said with the slow song– “If some one asks you to dance don’t turn them down, be kind!” The BTCWC believes in encouraging Character Counts!
The next dance is scheduled for late fall at Read Mountain Middle School.
OTHER RECENT READ MOUNTAIN COVERAGE
* Sept. 19: Scores from Read Mountain football and volleyball
* Sept. 17: Read Mountain wins in volleyball, falls in football
* Sept. 12: Photos from Read Mountain’s football win over Ben Franklin
* Sept. 9: Read Mountain Middle School defeats Staunton River in football
* Sept. 9: Read Mountain volleyball defeats Andrew Lewis
* Sept. 8: Photo gallery: Back to School night at Read Mountain Middle School
* Sept. 2: Read Mountain football team defeats Clifton Forge
* Sept. 2: Read Mountain volleyball team defeats Cave Spring
OTHER RECENT CENTRAL ACADEMY C0VERAGE:
* Sept. 26: Central Academy wins in volleyball, falls in football
* Sept. 12: Educators recognized by board
* Sept. 9: Photos from Central Academy back-to-school night
* Sept. 8: Fan lauds Central Academy football team
* Sept. 5: Central Academy defeats Cave Spring Middle School
* Aug. 29: Central Academy clobbers Roanoke Catholic