The Town of Buchanan has sent information about all the upcoming events throughout the Christmas season (be sure to click “read more” below). Twilight in Buchanan is beginning, and here are all the details:
Indulge yourself with a getaway this holiday season. The Town of Buchanan hosts a whirlwind of activities from Thanksgiving through New Year’s and wraps things up on Twelfth Night with an Epiphany Bon Fire on the Town Park.
Take a step back in time to holidays past with a visit to downtown Buchanan. Escape the fast pace of Interstate traffic and the crowds at the mall to enjoy an old-fashioned shopping experience in downtown Buchanan. With only 27 days between Thanksgiving and Christmas, downtown Buchanan offers a full Calendar of Events and extended hours in a relaxed atmosphere for your shopping pleasure.
For additional information contact the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212.
* Merchant Open House – Friday, Nov. 28, and Saturday, Nov. 29 – Kick off your holiday season during Buchanan’s 14th annual Merchant Open House. Shop, stroll, and dine during Buchanan’s extended hours Friday and Saturday, Nov. 28th and 29th with special discounts and light refreshments being served from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. Enjoy Buchanan’s relaxed pace, thousands of twinkling lights and an old-fashioned Christmas. Register to win $50 Gas Give Away Gift Certificate to be given away on Friday, Dec. 19, just in time for your holiday travels.
* Late Night Fridays – Friday, Nov. 28, Dec. 5, 12 and 19 – Leave the traffic and chaos behind when you shop in downtown Buchanan during Late Night Fridays. Many of Buchanan’s downtown businesses will keep the lights on and doors open each Friday from Thanksgiving through Dec. 19 until 9 p.m. We welcome you and your family to shop, stroll and dine along Main Street. Rediscover shopping close to home where our merchants specialize in serving you by name, not a number. Enjoy carols and displays of tiny white lights, red velvet bows and fresh evergreens decorating Main Street’s historic storefronts.
* Christmas Craft Bazaar, Farmers Market Saturdays – Dec. 6 and 13. Enjoy carriage rides, Saturday, Dec. 6 – Handmade gifts and crafts, bake sales and a Farmers Market welcome visitors to downtown Buchanan on Saturday, Dec. 6 and 13. On Saturday, Dec. 6, from noon through 3 p.m., enjoy Olde Fashioned Carriage Rides pulled by Belgian horses along Buchanan’s Historic Main Street. Local churches, civic organizations and vendors are invited to set up from 10 a.m. through 3 p.m. in the BB&T parking lot to offer handmade crafts, wreaths, fresh greens, baked goods and such.
* An Old Fashioned Christmas Parade – Saturday, Dec. 13 – “Rediscover an Olde Fashioned Christmas!” For more than six decades hundreds have returned to line Buchanan’s historic Main Street cheering floats, marching units and bands as they make their way through Town announcing the arrival of the Christmas Season. This year’s parade features the award winning James River High School Marching Band, a Scottish Bagpipe Band known as War Pipe, dozens of marching units and floats prepared by area churches and civic organizations as well as antique autos, clowns, horses and our most honored guest, old St. Nick. The Parade will begin its way down Main Street at 4 p.m. To enter call the Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at 254-1212.
* Candlelight Christmas Home Tour – Sunday, Dec. 14 – The Buchanan Town Improvement Society invites you and your family totour five area homes dressed in their season’s finest. From porch to parlor, each home is filled with treasures from the past and present for your viewing pleasure. Following the tour join us at the historic Wilson Warehouse on Lowe Street for a reception. Tour 1 to 5 p.m. with reception from 3 to 6 p.m. Advance tickets at the Buchanan Town Hall, 254-1212, or at the door of each home on the day of the tour.
* Christmas Eve Luminary Display – Wednesday, Dec. 24 – Buchanan has become known as the “Town that glows with love at Christmas.” Celebrating the Town’s history, Buchanan’s downtown streets are lined each Christmas Eve with hundreds of luminaries to herald the arrival of Christmas. Dozens of volunteers re-create this spectacular display by lining Main Street with luminaries made from milk jugs collected by area residents and youth to honor those who gave assistance to the Town during the flood of 1985. Enjoy this spectacular display as volunteers line the streets at 3 p.m. and return to light luminaries at 6 p.m.
* New Year’s Eve Bell Ringing – Wednesday, Dec. 31 – Ring in the New Year during Buchanan’s 14th Annual New Year’s Eve Party and Bell Ringing. Planning for activities has grown this year as SRO and the Buchanan Library have joined forces with the Buchanan Special Events Committee to host an expanded New Year’s Eve Gala. A reception featuring music performed by a Brass Band will be held in the Buchanan Library and feature light refreshments beginning at 8 p.m. to be followed by a free showing of “My Man Godfrey” in the Buchanan Theatre at 10 p.m.
* Epiphany Tree Burning – Tuesday, Jan. 6 – Buchanan wraps up its holiday season on this twelfth night with this “Olde World” tradition. Join family and friends as area residents and visitors gather on the Buchanan Town Park on Lowe Street to enjoy carols and light refreshments and a bonfire made from the Town’s 25-foot Christmas Tree and dozens of local residents’ trees for an evening of fun and warmth. Activities begin at 7 p.m.
Submitted by Town of Buchanan