Delegate Lacey E. Putney, I-Bedford, working with Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton, announced today that several significant safety improvements are being developed for the 14 miles of the Route 220 corridor between Eagle Rock and Clifton Forge. These projects will be developed and built in phases with construction beginning on the initial improvements later this year.
“Improving the safety of Route 220 is and has been for years a critical transportation priority for Botetourt County and the Alleghany Highlands,” said Putney. “I am very pleased to report that my efforts in working with VDOT have not only been successful and productive in obtaining commitments of many millions of dollars to address these improvements, but the great news is that these improvements will begin as early as this spring.”
“The first phase involves installing snow-plowable raised pavement markers and upgrading roadway striping along the Route 220 corridor from Route 870 (approximately 2 miles south of Route 43) to Interstate 64. VDOT anticipates work to be under way on this $2 million project in May of this year.
“The second phase, which is estimated to cost $8 million, entails shoulder and guardrail improvements along the Route 220 corridor from Route 43 to Interstate 64 and will include re-grading existing shoulders to proper cross slope and paving existing shoulders. Paved shoulder widths will vary from approximately 3 feet to 8 feet. Approximately 90% of the shoulders will be improved with this contract and the remaining 10% will be evaluated with Phase 4 below. Work will also include upgrading existing guardrail and new guardrail installations along this corridor. Construction to start in August of this year.
“The third phase entails widening or totally replacing the seven narrow bridges/structures on Route 220 between Route 43 and Iron Gate. VDOT will begin preliminary engineering in May of this year to identify locations and start the process of drawing up detail design plans. Right-of-way acquisition to begin in 2014. Construction advertisement could begin as early as 2015. The estimated cost of this third phase is $7 million.
“The fourth phase work to include turn lane improvements at intersections along Route 220 from Route 43 to Iron Gate and will also include the evaluation of the remaining shoulder and guardrail improvements noted in Phase 2 above. Actual locations will be identified and prioritized based on engineering evaluations of traffic and accident data, public input and available funding. VDOT will begin preliminary engineering in May of this year. Right-of-way acquisition to begin in 2014 and construction advertisement in 2015. The estimated cost of phase four is $5 million.
“I am attaching the list of all four phases furnished me by VDOT. Much remains to be done in the improvements to Route 220; however, obtaining these commitments from VDOT in the amount of $22 million since arranging to have Transportation Secretary Sean Connaughton and other VDOT officials come to Dabney S. Lancaster Community College last fall on October 19th is a tremendous step forward and extremely encouraging to the people of the Alleghany and Botetourt areas. I am deeply grateful for this level of support and commitment from the Secretary in such a short time following the hearing in October.
“I will continue my efforts to upgrade Route 220 as well as other important matters to the Botetourt and Alleghany area. ”