May 5, 2013, has been designated the Day of Celebration of the 250th anniversary of Fincastle Presbyterian Church. The celebration will be held in the church at 108 E. Back St. in Fincastle.
The congregation was founded in 1763 through the merger of several non-conformist meeting houses. Present members are actively preparing for the special day through presentations of “Historical Highlights” during some Sunday services, and by researching early publications such as the “Housekeepers Friend,” a recipe book published by the Ladies Aid Society in 1896.
The regular morning service at 10:30 on May 5 will include a concert by the hand-bell choir. Following the service, attendees can participate in tours of the historic graveyard and the Sunday School building. There will be displays of historical significance, as well as distribution of special booklets and a light lunch. Committees are requesting that names and photographs of persons who have been baptized or married in the Fincastle Presbyterian Church, memoirs and/or appropriate photographs be sent to Connie Miles, 2293 Etzler Road, Troutville, VA 24175. For additional information, contact Pat Simmons firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-529-7213.
– Submitted by Carol Brenner