Time to send a new Top 25 ballot to The Associated Press.
I kicked out N.C. State after its lopsided loss to Oklahoma State. I need to see more of State before I put them back in.
I also evicted Baylor after its loss to Colorado. I’m sure Baylor will be back in my poll soon, though.
I also kicked out Wisconsin after its lopsided loss to Florida. But it was a tough call, and Wisconsin will be back on the ballot pretty soon, I imagine.
I also kicked out Notre Dame after its loss to St. Joe’s. No shame in that loss, but needed to make room for new teams.
I kicked out VCU after its home loss to Wichita State.
I also booted Saint Louis after its home loss to Santa Clara.
Here is my ballot:
1. Indiana stays here after beating North Dakota St. and Sam Houston St. Next: an unimpressive Georgia team Monday in Brooklyn, and Ball St. next Sunday.
2. Louisville stays here after beating Samford and Miami of Ohio. Next: Northern Iowa on Thursday in the Bahamas tourney.
3. Ohio State stays here after beating URI and Washington in the Hall of Fame tourney in Connecticut. Next: Friday vs. Missouri-KC.
4. Duke jumps up four spots after beating Kentucky and Florida Gulf Coast. Next: a good Minnesota team Thursday in the Bahamas tourney.
5. Syracuse moves up a spot after beating Wagner. Next: Princeton on Wed. and Colgate on Sunday.
6. Michigan moves up a spot after beating IUPUI and Cleveland St. Next: Pitt in the Preseason NIT semis at the Garden.
7. Florida moves up three spots after beating Wisconsin and Middle Tennessee. Next: Tues. vs. Savannah St. and Friday vs. UCF.
8. Gonzaga moves up six spots after thumping WVU and South Dakota. Next: Thursday against Clemson in the Orlando tourney.
9. Creighton moves up six spots after beating UAB and Presbyterian. Next: Longwood on Tuesday and big game against Wisconsin on Friday in Vegas.
10. Arizona moves up six spots after beating UTEP. Next: Long Beach St. on Monday.
11. Missouri moves up six spots after beating Alcorn St. and Nicholls St. Next: Stanford on Thursday in the Bahamas tourney.
12. Cincinnati moves up six spots after beating Miss. Valley St. and N.C. A&T. Next: Campbell on Tuesday and Iowa St. on Friday in Vegas.
13. Colorado cracks my ballot here after beating Dayton, Baylor and Murray State to win the Charleston Classic. Impressive wins against Baylor and Murray St. for Colorado, which made the NCAAs last season. Next: Air Force on Sunday.
14. Oklahoma State cracks my ballot here after beating Akron, Tenn. and North Carolina State to win the Puerto Rico tourney. Impressive win over N.C. State. Next: Portland State next Sunday. And guess where the Cowboys will be on Dec. 1? Blacksburg!
15. UConn moves up four spots after beating Vermont and then defeating Wake and Quinnipiac (in double overtime) in the Virgin Islands. Next: New Mexico on Monday in the Paradise Jam final, and Stony Brook next Sunday.
16. Michigan State returns to my ballot here after beating Kansas and Texas Southern. Next: Boise State on Tuesday, Oakland on Friday and Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday.
17. Memphis moves up three spots after beating North Florida and Samford. Next: VCU on Thursday in the Bahamas tourney.
18. Kentucky falls 13 spots after losing to Duke and beating Lafayette. Next: Wed. against Morehead State and Friday vs. Long Island.
19. Kansas falls 10 spots after losing to Mich. State and Chattanooga. Next: Wash. State on Monday in the Hall of Fame Classic in KC.
20. Ohio moves up one spot after beating UNC Wilmington and Wofford. Next: Hampton on Tuesday and Richmond on Sat.
21. Wichita State cracks my ballot here after winning at VCU and beating Howard. Good road win. Next: DePaul on Tuesday in the Cancun tourney.
22. San Diego St. moves up two spots after beating San Diego Christian and Missouri State. Next: Wed. vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff and Sunday at Southern Cal.
23. UCLA moves up two spots after beating UC Irvine in OT and beating JMU. Next: Shabazz Muhammad makes his UCLA debut Monday against Georgetown in the Legends Classic in Brooklyn, and Sunday vs. Cal Poly.
24. North Carolina cracks my ballot here after and winning at Long Beach State. NextL Monday vs. Miss. State in the Maui tourney.
25. For this last spot, I considered leaving Baylor, Wisconsin or N.C. State on my ballot. I looked hard at FSU, which bounced back from teh South Alabama loss by beating BYU and St. Joe’s. I looked hard at Belmont, which won at Stanford, and Santa Clara, which won at St. Louis. I looked hard at Alabama, which beat Oregon State and Villanova.
But in the end, I opted to go with a team I have been looking hard at since the preseason: UNLV. Not because of the wins over N. Arizona and Jacksonville State in particular, but rather because UNLV has the look of a Top 25 team. Next: Friday vs. Oregon in Vegas tourney.