Time to send a new Top 25 ballot to The Associated Press.
I kicked out UConn after its loss to N.C. State.
I also booted Boise State after its loss at Utah.
I also evicted Virginia Tech after its loss at WVU. But if the Hokies do well in Las Vegas and against BYU in Salt Lake City, they will be back on my ballot to ring in the new year.
Here is my ballot:
1. Duke stays here after soundly beating Temple. Another win over a good team. This bunch has built quite an impressive list of victims, and it has yet to play an ACC game. Next: idle until a Dec. 19 game with Cornell.
2. Indiana stays here after beating Central Conn. Next: good game Saturday against a very good Butler team in Indianapolis.
3. Syracuse stays here after beating Eastern Michigan, Long Beach State and Monmouth. Next: Saturday against Canisius.
4. Michigan stays here after beating Western Michigan and Arkansas. Next: Tues. against Binghamton and Saturday against WVU in Brooklyn.
5. Florida stays here after soundly beating FSU. Next: big game Saturday at Arizona.
6. Louisville stays here after beating College of Charleston and Missouri-Kansas City. Next: Saturday visit to Memphis.
7. Ohio State stays here after beating Long Beach St. Next: Savannah St. on Wed. and UNC Asheville on Sat.
8. Illinois moves up 10 spots after beating Western Carolina and showing it was for real with a big win at Gonzaga. Next: Norfolk State on Tuesday and unbeaten Eastern Kentucky on Sunday.
9. Arizona stays here after beating Southern Miss. and Clemson. Next: the big game with Florida on Sat.
10. Cincinnati stays here after beating Arkansas-Little Rock and Maryland-Eastern Shore. Next: Marshall on Saturday in Charleston, W.Va.
11. Missouri stays here after beating Southeast Mo. State and Tenn. St. Next: idle until S. Carolina St. on Dec. 19.
12. Kansas stays here after crushing Colorado. Next: Saturday against Belmont.
13. Gonzaga falls five spots after beating Wash. State and suffering its first loss of the season to visiting Illinois. Next: decent test Sat. vs. Kansas St. in Seattle.
14. New Mexico falls one spot after beating Southern Cal and Valpo. Why is New Mexico down a spot? I need to make room above for the Illini, which had been ranked below UNM in my previous ballot. Next: Sat. vs. New Mexico St.
15. Wichita State stays here after beating Northern Colorado. Next: Thurs. at Tenn.
16. San Diego State stays here after beating Texas Southern and UC Santa Barbara. Next: Univ. of San Diego.
17. Oregon stays here after beating Idaho State. Next: Sat. vs. Nebraska.
18. Creighton moves up five spots after beating Nebraska and Akron. Next: Saturday at Cal.
19. Minnesota moves up five spots after beating South Dakota St. and Southern Cal. Next: Tues. vs. N. Dakota St.
20. Oklahoma St. stays here after beating S. Florida and Missouri State. Next: Sun. vs. Central Arkansas.
21. Georgetown moves up one spot after squashing Texas and beating Towson. I was going to move Georgetown up more than one spot, but not after they only won 46-40 vs. Towson. Next: Mon. vs Longwood and Sat. vs. W. Carolina.
22. North Carolina State returns to my ballot here after beating UConn and Cleveland St. That was a quality win, beating UConn, so the Wolfpack deserve to be on my ballot again. Next: Sat. vs. Norfolk St.
23. As usual, the bottom of the ballot was tough to figure out. But for this spot, I decided to have Wyoming crack my ballot here. The unbeaten Cowboys have been one of the surprise teams out of the Mountain West. They followed up a quality win over Colorado on Dec, 1 by going on the road and winning by 14 points at Illinois State, the same Illinois State team that gave Louisville fits before the Cardinals won that game. They also beat Panhandle St. Next: idle until Dec. 18 against Denver.
24. Miami moves up one spot after an idle week. I don’t like to move up someone after an idle week, but you’ll see why I did in a minute. Next: good game Friday against unbeaten Charlotte.
25. For this last spot, I looked at VCU, UNC, Butler, Charlotte, Middle Tenn. St. and Illinois-Chicago. I looked very hard at Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia Tech and UNLV. But in the end, I returned Michigan State to my ballot here after the Spartans bounced back from a loss at Miami by beating Nicholls St., Arkansas Pine Bluff and Loyola of Illinois. When I compared the Spartans to Notre Dame, Pitt, UNLV and the Hokies, Michigan State had the best win of that bunch this season: its win over Kansas. So on that basis, I decided to give Michigan State this spot. Next for MSU: Sat vs. Tuskegee. And this is why I moved Miami up a spot, to put them ahead of the team they recently beat.