Time to send another ballot to The Associated Press.
I evicted UNLV after its loss at UNC. And that was the only eviction.
Here is the ballot, as well as a look ahead at the teams’ upcoming games as we start up conference play in most cases:
1. Duke stays here after beating Santa Clara. Next: game with Davidson in Charlotte and a Sat. game with Wake.
2. Michigan stays here after beating Central Michigan. Next: Thurs. at Northwestern and Sunday against Iowa.
3, Arizona stays here after beating San Diego State. Next: Thurs. against Colorado and Sat. vs. Utah.
4. Louisville stays here after beating Kentucky. Next: Wed. vs. Providence.
5. Indiana stays here after beating Jacksonville. Next: Monday at Iowa.
6. Illinois moves up two spots after beating Auburn. I still think Illinois deserves to be ranked considerably higher than they were in last week’s AP poll (12th) because of its wins over Butler and Gonzaga. Next; Wed. at Purdue and big game Sat. against Ohio State.
7. Kansas moves up two spots after beating American. Next: good nonconference game Sat. against Temple.
8. Syracuse moves up two spots after beating Alcorn State. Next: Monday against Central Conn., Wed. vs. Rutgers and Sunday at South Florida.
9. Gonzaga moves up two spots after beating Baylor. Next: big game Monday at Oklahoma State, a Thursday visit to Pepperdine and a Sat. visit to the Santa Clara team that gave Duke a good battle.
10. Butler moves up two spots after beating Vanderbilt. I still think Butler deserves to be ranked considerably higher than it was in last week’s poll (18th) because of that win over Indiana. Next: Wed. vs. Penn and Sat. vs. New Orleans.
11. Creighton moves up three spots after beating Evansville. Next: Wed. at Ill. State and Sat. vs. Indiana St.
12. Minnesota moves up three spots after an idle week. I don’t usually move teams up after an idle week, but I am doing it because I think Minn. deserves to be ranked higher than the 3 teams I am dropping in my ballot this week. Minnesota’s only loss was to Duke. Next: big game Monday against Michigan State, and Sunday game with Northwestern.
13. New Mexico returns to my ballot here after winning at Cincinnati. Good road win, bouncing back from that home loss to South Dakota State the previous week. Next: Monday at St. Louis.
14. Missouri falls 8 spots after losing in OT at UCLA. Next: Sat. vs. a good Bucknell team.
15. San Diego State falls 2 spots after losing by one point to Arizona. Next: Wed. vs. Cal State Bakersfield.
16. Cincinnati falls 9 spots after losing at home to New Mexico. Next: big game Monday at Pitt, and Sat. vs. St. John’s.
17. Oklahoma State falls one spot after an idle week. I don’t like to drop a team after an idle week, but I needed to make room for New Mexico above them after that big win at Cincinnati. Next: Monday’s big game with Gonzaga, and another big game Sat at Kansas State. Challenging week.
18. Georgetown falls a spot after an idle week — again, as with everyone else from here on out, because of New Mexico returning to the ballot at No. 13. Next: Sat. at Marquette.
19. NC State falls a spot after beating Western Mich. Next: Monday against UNC Greensboro and Sat. at Boston College.
20. Florida falls a spot after beating Air Force. Next: Sunday at Yale.
21. Michigan State falls a spot after an idle week. Next: big game Monday at Minnesota, and Sat. vs. Purdue.
22. Ohio St. falls a spot after beating Chicago State. Next: Wed. vs. Nebraska and big game Sat. at Illinois.
23. Wyoming falls a spot after an idle week. Next: Wed. at SMU.
24. Oregon falls a spot after an idle week. Next: Monday vs. Nevada and Sun. at Oregon State.
25. Notre Dame falls a spot after an idle week. Next: Sat. vs Seton Hall.
And that’s it. I have Kansas State, Wichita State, UNC, VCU and Pitt circling the runway, ready to crack my ballot, but with so many teams having an idle week and New Mexico needing to get back on my ballot the most, there just wasn’t room for anyone else but New Mexico to crack the ballot. But I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of those five were on next week’s ballot.