Time to send another Top 25 ballot to The Associated Press.
I kicked out Wyoming after its loss to Boise State.
I evicted Wichita State after its loss to Evansville, although Wichita might be back on my ballot as soon as next week.
I booted Oklahoma State after its loss to Oklahoma.
I didn’t have to kick out Georgetown after its lopsided home loss to Pitt because I had kicked the Hoyas out last week.
I also didn’t have to evict Cincinnati after its loss at home to Notre Dame because I kicked the Bearcats out last week.
I also didn’t have to evict UNLV after its loss to New Mexico because I kicked out UNLV last week.
And I didn’t have to find room in my ballot for Oregon after its win over Arizona because I already have been ranking Oregon in recent weeks.
Here is the ballot:
1. Louisville moves up 2 spots after Duke and Michigan both lost. Louisville beat Seton Hall and South Florida this past week. Since losing to Duke without Dieng, the Cardinals have won 10 in a row. Next: big game at UConn on Monday and huge game against Syracuse on Sat. Tough week — will Louisville still be No. 1 on my ballot next Sunday night?
2. Duke drops a spot after beating Clemson and losing at NC State. I can’t drop Duke more than one spot because of its great body of work, plus its lone loss came on the road against a ranked team so no shame there. But with Ryan Kelly hurt, Duke is no longer as formidable. Next: Thursday against woeful Ga. Tech.
3. Indiana moves up 2 spots after beating Penn St. and a really good Minnesota team. Next: Tues. against Wisconsin and Sun. at Northwestern.
4. Michigan falls 2 spots after beating Nebraska and losing at Ohio State. Can’t drop Michigan more than 2 spots after losing on the road to Ohio State. No surprise they lost that game, and it was a close one. Next: huge game Thursday at Minn.
5. Kansas moves up a spot after beating Iowa St. in OT and beating Texas Tech. Next: Mon. againat Baylor and Sat. at Texas.
6. Gonzaga moves up a spot after beating a good St. Mary’s team. Next: Thursday at Portland and huge game Sat. at Butler.
7. Syracuse moves up a spot after beating Providence and Villanova. But with Southerland ineligible, SU could be vulnerable. Next: huge game Sat. at Louisville.
8. Minnesota moves up a spot after winning big at Illinois and giving Indiana a challenge before losing on the road. Next: huge game with Michigan on Thursday.
9. Butler moves up a spot after beating St. Joe’s and Datyon. I think Butler keeps being ranked too low in the poll. Butler is a top-10 team. Next: Richmond on Wed. and huge game with Gonzaga on Sat.
10. Creighton moves up a spot after beating Drake and Missouri State. Next: Tues. vs. Northern Iowa and big game Sat. at Wichita State.
11. Arizona falls 7 spots after losing at Oregon and beating Oregon State. Arizona hadn’t been that impressive in its recent wins prior to the Oregon game, so that factors into Arizona falling 7 spots too. Next: nice test Sat. at Arizona State.
12. NC State moves up 4 spots after beating Ga. Tech and Duke. Next: Next: Wed. at reeling Maryland and Sun. against Clemson.
13. Oregon moves up 7 spots after beating Arizona and Arizona State. Great week. Oregon deserves to be ranked. Next: Thurs. at Southern Cal and big game Sat. at UCLA.
14. San Diego State stays here after beating Fresno State and winning in OT against a good Colorado State team Next: good game Wed. vs. UNLV and another good one Sat. at Wyoming,
15. Kansas State stays here after beating WVU. Next: Wed. at TCU and Sat. vs. Oklahoma.
16. Ohio State returns to my ballot here after beating Purdue and Michigan. OSU finally has a quality win, so they go back in the ballot. This Michigna game is the type of win I’ve been waiting for. Next: big game Sat at Mich. St.
17. Florida stays here after beating Georgia and LSU. Next: Thurs. at Texas A&M and big game Sat against Missouri.
18. Marquette stays here after beating Pitt on the road in OT. Marquette deserves to be ranked. Next: Wed. vs. Seton Hall and Sat. at Cincinnati.
19. Missour falls 7 spots after beating Alabama and losing to Ole Miss. With Bowers hurt, Missouri is not as formidable. Next: Wed. vs. Georgia and big game Sat. at Florida.
20. Illinois falls 7 spots after a lopsided home loss to Minn. and a lopsided road loss against Wisconisn. Illini have lost 3 of last 4 games. The one win in that span was a convincing win over Ohio State. Ordinarily I would keep Illinois ranked ahead of OSU, but I decided to return OSU to my ballot 4 spots ahead of Illinois because of the Illini’s very bad week. Next: Thurs. against Northwestern.
21. Michigan St. stays here after beating Iowa and Nebraska. Next: Wed. at Penn St. and big game Sat. vs. Ohio State.
22. VCU moves up 2 spots after beating Dayton and St. Bonaventure. VCU deserves to be ranked. Next: Thurs. against St. Joe’s and Sat. at Duquesne.
23. New Mexico returns to my ballot here after beating UNLV and Fresno State. Next: big game Wed. at Boise State.
24. Notre Dame falls 2 spots after winning at Cincinnati and losing at home to UConn. Next: Tues. at St. John’s and Sat. against Rutgers.
25. For this last spot, I looked at Boise State, Ole Miss, Wisconsin and UConn. But I decided to return UCLA to my ballot here. The Bruins are coming off road wins over Utah and Colorado. They have won 9 in a row, including a win over Missouri. Next: Thurs. against Oregon State and big game Sat. against Oregon.