Time to send another Top 25 ballot to The Associated Press.
I kicked out Creighton after its 0-2 week, losing to Indiana St. and Illinois St.
I evicted Cincinnati after its 0-2 week, falling to Providence and Pitt.
I booted Oregon after it lost to Colorado.
I kicked out Minnesota after its 0-2 week, falling to Mich. State and Illinois.
I did not have to evict Missouri after its loss to Texas A&M because I kicked out Missouri 3 weeks ago.
Here is the ballot:
1. With Indiana losing time for a new No. 1. Or is it? Indiana bounced back from its loss to Illinois by winning at Ohio State. So I thought about leaving Indiana at No. 1. I also considered Gonzaga. But in the end, I decided to move Miami up 4 spots to No. 1. Miami has yet to lose in 2013. It won decisively over BC and UNC this week. And it has a decisive win over Duke, a team that may get some No.1 votes from others this week (although I don’t know why you’d vote Duke over Miami. Duke has a great body of work,. but right now Miami is the better team). Miami has yet to lose when it has both Durand Scott and Reggie Johnson in its lineup — and it has had both for several weeks now. And yes, the ACC is not as good as the Big Ten. But it does have a win over Mich. State. Next: Wed at FSU and Sun at Clemson.
2. Gonzaga moves up 2 spots after beating Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount. Next: huge game Thursday at Saint Mary’s and a Sat. visit to San Francisco.
3. Indiana falls two spots after losing at Illinois and winning at Ohio State. Next: Wed. vs. Nebraska and Sat. vs. Purdue.
4. Duke moves up two spots after beating NC State and BC. Next: Wed against UNC and Sat. at Maryland. (Some years, that would be two very important games in the ACC. Not this year. With the way Miami is playing, that UNC-Duke game is sure to be overhyped by ESPN this week considering it is irrelevant when it comes to first place).
5. Michigan falls 3 spots after beating Ohio St. in OT and losing to Wisconsin in OT. Next: huge game Tues. at Michigan State and a Sun. game with Penn St.
6. Mich. State moves up two spots after beating Minnesota and Purdue. Next: Tuesdays’ big game with Michigan and a Sat. visit to Nebraska.
7. Syracuse moves up 3 spots after beating Notre Dame and St. John’s. Next: Wed. at UConn and Sat. at Seton Hall.
8. Kansas State moves up 5 spots after beating Texas Tech and Iowa State. Next: huge game Monday at Kansas, and a Sat. game with Baylor.
9. Florida falls six spots after losing to Arkansas and beating Miss. St. Florida now goes back behind K-State, a team that beat the Gators. Next: big game Tuesday with Kentucky and a Sat. visit to Auburn.
10. Arizona falls 3 spots after beating Stanford and losing at home to California. I know Florida once lost to Arizona, but Arizona’s loss this week came at home, while Florida’s was on the road, so Arizona stays behind Florida. Next: Thurs. at Colorado and Sunday at Utah.
11. Louisville stays here after beating Rutgers and losing in five overtimes at Notre Dame. Next: Thurs. vs. St. John’s and Sunday at S. Florida.
12. Butker moves up 2 spots after beating St. Bonaventure and GW. Next: Wed. vs Charlotte and Sat. at Fordham.
13. Georgetown moves up six spots after beating Rutgers. Next: big game Monday against Marquette and a Fri. visit to Cincinnati.
14. Wisconsin moves up 10 spots after beating Iowa in two overtimes and Michigan in one ovetime. A lot of voters will only now be adding Wisconsin to their ballot, but they have been on my ballot the past two weeks now. Next: Thurs. at Minnesota and a big gam Sunday against Ohio State.
15. Ohio State falls 3 spots after losing to Michigan in OT and losing to Indiana. Next: Thurs. vs. Northwestern and the big game Sunday at Wisconsin.
16. Marquette, co-leader of Big Esat, moves up six spots after beating South Florida and DePaul. Next: big game Monday at Georgetown and big game Sat. vs. Pitt.
17. Pitt moves up six spots after beating Seton Hall and Cincinnati. Next: big game Sat. at Marquette,
18. New Mexico falls two spots after beating Air Force and losing to UNLV. Next: Wed. at Fresno State and good game Sat. vs. Boise St.
19. Colorado State, in second place in Mountain West, moves up one spot after beating Nevada. CSU deserves to be ranked. Next: big game Wed. vs. San Diego State and a dangerous game Sat. at Air Force.
20. Oklahoma State moves up one spot after beating Baylor in OT and beating Texas. Next: Wed. at Texas Tech and a Sat game with Oklahoma.
21. Kansas falls 12 spots after losing to TCU and Oklahoma. Kansas has lost 3 in a row. Next: huge game Monday with K-State and a Sat. game with Texas.
22. Notre Dame returns to my ballot here after losing to Syracuse and beating Louisville in five overtimes. Next: Wed at DePaul and Sat at Providence.
23. Indiana State cracks my ballot here after thumping Creighton and beating Southern Illinois. Indiana State is tied atop the Missouri Valley with Creighton and Wichita State, but it has recent wins over both those teams. Next: Tues. at Missouri State and Sat. at Bradley.
24. Akron cracks my ballot here after beating Central Michigan and Miami of Ohio. Akron enters the ballot not because of those particular wins but because of its body of work and recent play. Akron has won 15 in a row, plus has a nice nonleague win over Middle Tenn. State. Next: Wed. vs. E. Michigan and Sat. vs. Bowling Green.
25. For this last spot, I looked hard at San Diego State, Illinois, Middle Tennessee, Saint Mary’s, Louisiana Tech and La Salle. I looked very hard at Memphis. But in the end, I decided to return VCU to my ballot here. VCU, which is in a three way tie atop the A-10, is coming off a win at Charlotte. VCU has won 3 in a row since its back to back losses to Richmond and La Salle. Plus VCU has a win over Memphis. Next: Thurs. vs. UMass and Sat. vs. GW.