Time to send a new ballot to the Associated Press.
I kicked out Pitt after its loss to Notre Dame at home. Pitt has lost 2 of 3.
I booted Butler after its home loss to Saint Louis. Butler has a great body of work but has lost two recent home games. Time to kick Butler out of my ballot. But if they beat VCU this weekend, they will go right back in.
I evicted VCU after its lopsided loss at Saint Louis. But if VCU beats Butler this weekend, they go back in.
I also kicked out Oregon after its home loss to Cal. Yes, Oregon is co-leader of Pac 12. But Oregon needs to spend some time in the penalty box.
Here is the ballot.
1. Indiana moves up 2 spots after winning at Michigan State. With Miami losing, I needed a new No. 1. And that impressive road win was enough to have me put Indiana back at No.1. Next: Tues. visit to Minn. and a Sat game against Iowa.
2. Gonzaga stays here after beating Santa Clara and San Diego. Next: Thurs. visit to BYU and a Sat game with Portland.
3. Georgetown moves up 4 spots after beating DePaul and getting a great road win at Syracuse. The first place team in the Big East deserves a spot in the top five, especially with that great road win. Hoyas have won 9 straight. Next: good test Wed. at UConn, and a Sat. game with Rutgers.
4. Miami falls 3 spots after beating UVa and losing at Wake Forest. I’m sure many voters will drop Miami behind Duke this week, but that is wrong. Yes, UM had a bad loss at Wake. But that’s UM’s only loss of 2013, and it is still atop the ACC standings. And it still beat Duke soundly. Next: home against the Hokies on Wed, and a huge game Sat at Duke.
5. Michigan moves up a spot after beating Illinois. Next: Wed at Penn State and a huge game Sunday with Mich. State.
6. Duke moves up 2 spots after beating the Hokies and BC. Next: Thursday visit to UVa, and the big game Sat. at home vs. Miami.
7. Kanssa moves up five spots after winning at Okla. State in 2 OTs and beating TCU. Kanssa has righted itself with 4 straight wins, including wins over K-State and Okla. State. Next: Monday at Iowa State, and a Sat. game with WVU.
8. Mich. State falls 4 spots after losing to Indiana at home and to Ohio St. on the road. Next: big game Sun at Michigan.
9. New Mexico moves up 5 spots after winning at Colorado State. Mountain West leader deserves Top 10 spot, especially after that road win. Next: Wed. vs. San Diego State and Sat. vs. Wyoming.
10. Florida falls five spots after losing at Missouri and beating Arkansas. Next: Tues. at Tenn and Sat. vs. Arkansas.
11. Syracuse falls 2 spots after beating Providence and losing at home to the Hoyas. Next: huge game Monday at Marquette and another biggie Saturday vs. Louisville.
12. Louisville falls 2 spots after beating Seton Hall. Don’t like to move teams down when they don’t lose, but I needed to make room in my top 10 for Kansas and New Mexico after their quality road wins over Okla State and Colo State, respectively. Next: Wed at DePaul and the big game Sat at Syracuse.
13. Ohio State moves up 6 spots after beating Minn. and Michigan St. Next: Thurs at Northwestern.
14. Kansas State falls one spot after beating WVU and Texas. Again, don’t like to move teams down when they lose, but felt Ohio State deserved to move up to 13 after beating the Spartans. Next: Mon vs Texas Tech and Sat. at Baylor.
15. Saint Louis returns to my ballot for the first time since early this season after beating VCU and Butler. Great week. St. Louis now in first place in the A-10 and owns two wins over Butler. St. Louis is heading back to the NCAAs. Next: Wed vs. St. Joe’s and Sat at GW.
16. Oklahoma State falls 5 spots after losing at home in 2 OTs to Kansas and then beating WVU. Wasn’t planning to move Okla St down this far, but teams like Kansas, New Mexico, St Louis and Ohio State deserved to be in the top 15 this week. Next: Wed at TCU and Sat vs Texas
17. Wiscsonsin stays here after beating Northwestern. Next: Tues vs Nebraska and Sun vs Purdue
18. Arizona stays here after beating Wash. and Wash. State. Next: Wed at USC and Sat at UCLA
19. Marquette falls 3 spots after beating Seton Hall and losing at Villanova. Next: huge game Monday with Syracuse and a big game Sat. vs. Notre Dame. Will Marquette still be ranked next week?
20. Notre Dame returns to my ballot here after beating Pitt on the road and defeating Cincinnati. Next: big game Sat at Marquette.
21. Memphis moves up 2 spots after beating Houston and Southern Miss. Next: Tues at Xavier and Sat at UCF.
22. Wichita State returns to my ballot here after beating Indiana State and Detroit. Shockers alone in first place in Missouri Valley and winners of 5 straight. Next: Wed vs Evansville and big game Sat at Creighton.
23. Colorado State falls 8 spots after losing at UNLV and falling at home to New Mexico. I am sure many voters will kick the Rams out of their ballot this week, but to me Colorado State still seems like a Top 25 team. Yes, it was an 0-2 week. But Rans are in second in the Mountain West and had won 8 of 9, including six straight, before this 0-2 dip. Next: Wed vs Fresno and Sat at Boise St.
24. Akron stays here after beating North Dakota State. Next: Wed at Ohio and Sat at Buffalo.
25. For this last spot, I looked at Butler, Pitt, Oregon and Middle Tenn. I was going to put La. Tech of the WAC here, but when part of your 2-0 week is a win over Central Baptist, I can’t put you on my ballot. So we’ll wait one more week to reward La. Tech.
So in the end, I gave the nod to a team that had more impressive wins this past week than La Tech or Middle Tenn: Saint Mary’s, which is coming off wins over BYU and Crieghton. Saint Mary’s made the NCAAs last year, and its only losses since Christmas were to Gonzaga. Next: Wed at Pepperdine and Sat vs. Santa Clara.