Time to send a new Top 25 ballot to The Associated Press.
I did not have to kick Butler out of my ballot because I already did that last week.
I did evict Arizona after its 0-2 week.
I also booted Memphis after its loss to Xavier.
I kicked out Wichita State after its 0-2 week.
I booted Colorado St. after its loss to Boise St.
I kicked out Akron after its loss to Buffalo.
Here is my ballot.
1. With Indiana’s loss to Minnesota, I needed a new No. 1. I gave the nod to Gonzaga, which moves up one spot on my ballot after it beat BYU and Portland to run its win streak to 12. Not only is Gonzaga the cream of the West Coast Conference, but it has good nonleague wins too. This team is legit. Next: the WCC tourney.
2. Georgetown moves up a spot after it beat UConn and Rutgers. The Hoyas are leading the Big East and have won 11 straight. This is definitely a top-four team. Next: good test Wed. at Villanova and big game Saturday with slumping Syracuse.
3. Kansas moves up 4 spots after beating Iowa St. and WVU. Next: Mon vs Texas Tech and Sat. at Baylor.
4. Duke moves up 2 spots after losing at UVa nd beating Miami. Do not usually move up teams after a week that includes a loss, but that was a great win over Miami and you see how good Duke is when Kelly is back. Next: Tues vs the Hokies and a Sat. visit to surging UNC.
5. Indiana drops 4 spots after losing at Minn. and beating Iowa. Next: big game Tues. with Ohio St. and huge game Sun at Michigan.
6. New Mexico moves up 3 spots after beating San Diego St. and Wyoming. This is not just the best team in the Mountain West but a top 10 team. Next: Wed at Nevada and Sat at Air Force.
7. Miami falls 3 spots after beating the Hokies and losing at Duke. I am still a believer in Miami. Next: Wed vs Ga. Tech and Sat vs Clemson.
8. Louisville moves up 4 spots after beating DePaul and winning at Syracuse. Cards look like a top 10 team again. Next: Mon vs Cincinnati and Sat vs Notre Dame.
9. Michigan falls 4 spots after losing to Penn State and beating Michigan St. Next: Wed at Purdue and the big game Sunday with Indiana.
10. Marquette moves up 9 spots after beating Syracuse and Notre Dame. That is a good week, and that is why Marquette deserves to be in the top 10. Next: Tues at Rutgers and Sat at St. John’s.
11. Mich. State falls 3 spots after losing at Michigan. Next: big game Thurs. vs. Wisconsin and a Sunday game with Northwestern.
12. Ohio State moves up one spot after beating Northwestern. Next: big game Tues at Indiana and a good Sat game with Illinois.
13. Kansas State moves up a spot after beating Texas Tech and Baylor. Next: Tues vs. TCU and huge game Sat at Okla. State.
14. St. Louis moves up a spot after beating St. Joe’s and GW. Next: Wed at Xavier and Sat. vs La Salle.
15. Oklahoma St. moves up a spot after beating TCU and Texas. Next: Wed at Iowa State and the big game Sat with K-State.
16. Florida falls 6 spots after losing to Tenn and beating Alabama. Next: Wed vs. Vandy and Sat at Kentucky.
17. VCU returns to my ballot here after thumping Butler. Next: Wed vs Richmond and Sat at Temple.
18. Syracuse falls 7 spots after losing to Marquette and Louisville. SU has lost 3 straight, including two at home, albeit all three were to fellow ranked foes. Next: Wed vs DePaul and Sat. at Georgetown.
19. UCLA, the co-leader of the Pac-12, returns to my ballot here after beating Arizona St. and Arizona. NextL Wed at Wash St and Sat at Wash.
20. Saint Mary’s moves up 5 spots after beating Pepperdine and Santa Clara. Next: WCC tourney.
21. Notre Dame falls one spot after losing at Marquette. Next: Tues vs St. John’s and big game Sat at Louisville.
22. Wisconsin falls 5 spots after beating Nebraska and losing at home to Purdue. Next: big game Thurs at Mich. State and a Sun game at Penn St.
23. UNLV, tied for second place in the Mountain West, returns to my ballot here after winning at Nevada. UNLV not going on my ballot specifically for that win but because of how it has played of late. UNLV has won four of five, including wins over New Mexico, Colorado State and San Diego State. Next: Tues vs Boise St and Sat vs. Fresno St.
24. La. Tech cracks my ballot here after beating Utah St. and San Jose. St. La Tech is unbeaten in the WAC and has not lost since Dec. 12. Next: Thurs at New Mexico St and Sat at Denver.
25. For this last spot, I looked hard at Minnesota, Illinois, Pitt, Creighton, Oregon and Middle Tennessee. But in the end I decided to go with Cal, which is only half a game out of first in the Pac 12. Cal is coming off wins over Utah and Colorado and has won seven in a row. Cal has swept Oregon, has won at Arizona and has beaten UCLA too. I gave Cal the nod because of its impressive road wins of late. Next: Wed vs Stanford.