Local digital music label Sewn Together Records has come up with one of the coolest ideas in a long time for the local music scene. With its Oct. 30 release of “You Are Here: Local Bands Covering Local Bands,” the label is not only spotlighting a lot of unique Roanoke Valley music, but it is stretching its own boundaries by selling the thing on vinyl.
No worries if you are without a turntable — the LP will include a digital download code for you to use until you (and I) finally break down and buy a turntable. You can buy that vinyl at The Bazaar.
According to a Sewn Together news release: “Some of the heavy hitters on the record include avant-garde rockers the Bastards of Fate covering another Roanoke big name, Eternal Summers. You can also count on seeing many other great groups on the track list including the Young Sinclairs covering Charles E. Cullen, the Situationist covering 8-bit operator local Receptors and one-time Nancy & 2 Meteors front man Marshall Hicks covering the Young Sinclairs. Not to mention a special collaboration between members of now defunct bands the Wading Girl and the K Word covering a group from a succeeding wave of music makers, the John Barry Conception.”
Courtesy of the label, here is the “You Are Here: Local Bands Covering Local Bands” tracklist:
1. The Deadline – Falcor (Riders of the Mark cover)
2. Didn’t You Baby – Marshall Hicks (Young Sinclairs cover)
3. Triangulate – John Barry Conception (Way Shape or Form cover)
4. Lightswitch – The Bastards of Fate (Eternal Summers cover)
5. The Distance – Mirror Kisses (Boys Lie cover)
6. No More Graves – The Missionaries (Sad Cobras cover)
7. Disconnected – The Situationist (Receptors cover)
8. My Baby Hates the Misfits – Illbotz (The Makeout cover)
9. I Loved You Enough to Leave You – The Young Sinclairs (Charles Cullen cover)
10. Show Your Teeth – On the Cooling Board (3 AM Friday cover)
11. Nothing Lost – The Nonnonchalants (John Barry Conception cover)
12. I Do This – Heevahava (Tre Mendous cover)