Tuesday night I wrote a respectful email to Graham Smith’s teacher at Upham Elementary School in Wellesley, Mass. in which I asked her to look at Tuesday’s column online and advise me on whether it would be appropriate to include in the package of materials about Virginia that I’m sending to Graham.
I had told Scott Leamon from WSLS Channel 10 that I intended to send Graham the column. But upon further reflection, and because of some emails I received and some comment here, I decided to check with his teacher first.
Here is teacher Carolyn Collins’ response:
Thank you for contacting me; it would be better if you did not include the article from the paper. I am sure he will appreciate the other items.
Carolyn S. Collins
For that reason I’ve changed my mind on that. I’ll take Tuesday’s newspaper out of the package I send Graham. The package to Graham will include:
- Friday’s paper (w/ a centerpiece about the Salem Red Sox);
- A recent issue of So Salem, one of our community publications, which also features the Red Sox;
- A pamphlet about the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford;
- A map of the Blue Ridge Parkway;
- An autographed copy of the book, Kids Love Virginia: A Family Travel Guide to Exploring ‘Kid-Tested’ Places in Virginia . . . Year Round! by George and Michele Zavatsky;
- A flyer promoting Civil War Homes, Then and Now, a local tour sponsored by Roanoke County Parks and Recreation
- An issue of the Roanoke Valley Visitors Guide, ‘It’s a Blue Ridge Day’;
- A public art catalog from the City of Roanoke;
- A postcard-sized map of Public Art in Roanoke;
- A key chain, bumper sticker and fridge magnet from Texas Tavern, the landmark Roanoke restaurant
- and maybe a few other things.
In addition to that, though the last line of Tuesday’s column mentioned many “weird” and “wonderful” things about Virginia, it did not include any examples of the latter.
So there will be a postscript in Thursday’s paper about many wonderful things about Virginia. And I’ll include that in the package, too.
Thanks for all your input, folks, and for urging me to reconsider.
If you want to send Graham other items about Virginia the address is:
Ms. Collins Class
Wellesley, MA 02481