Note from Dan: The regular here known as “Warren” dusted off his crystal ball and posted the forecast below as a comment to this thread. Here it is, lightly edited. Good stuff!
Because it’s so predictable what regressives will say in the event of an Obama re-election and failure by regressives to substantially change the composition of Congress, we can already identify some likely post-election excuses as November approaches. Here are a few:
1. “The polls oversample Democrats” in pre-election speak translates into “There was widespread voter fraud and intimidation by Democrats” in post-election speak.
2. “The GOP would have won in a landslide if they’d nominated a ‘true conservative’ for president.”
Mitt Romney has called himself “severely conservative,” and he picked an Ayn Rand disciple as his running mate. Has Mitt’s GOP base fallen for a lie that he’s told, or do most American voters want leaders even more regressive than Ayn Rand?
3. “The Tea Party is a huge silent majority.” If so, they must learn what actually affects change, and that dressing up in tri-cornered hats and claiming the founders would entirely endorse their prejudices does not.
4. “The mainstream media wanted Obama to be president.”
Which begs numerous questions: Are Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, the Weekly Standard, Forbes magazine, Clear Channel Communications, and the Richmond Times-Dispatch, among others, mainstream media, or outsider outlets? Why would media businesses want Obama to be president? Because they put politics over profits, or because they think they’ll see higher profits under Obama, or because they are such a diverse group of small business owners, or because they all know each other, or they’re all paid by the Obama campaign, or they are all much less intelligent than average, or…???
5. “The election results were bought by a few billionaires like Oprah and Soros.”
If that’s true, are Rove, Adelson, the Koch Bros., Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Finance, and the NRA simply lousy shoppers, and does their history indicate as much?
6. “Obama got elected only because he got the support of unions, blacks, gays, atheists, Muslims and welfare recipients.”
Mayberry’s demographics always were fictional. Always were.